Soccer Team Scores Winning Goal; Proceeds to Run From Angry Fans

Published: 29th Sep 11 10:18 am
Tweet
Riley Schmitt
Big 10 Editor, NBA Featured Columnist

Good old soccer.  It’s the most popular sport in the world, but it has never caught on in the US.  Maybe it’s the lack of physicality or the flopping that would make Vlade Divac blush.  Either way, soccer always seems to be a sport where acting gets rewarded more than skill from time to time.  However, the ending to this Bosnian Cup match might get more US viewers if it happens more often.

Thanks to Bar Stool Sports for the story on this.  The match took place between the teams of Velez and Zrinjski.  These two teams are bitter rivals, based on an ethnic divide.  The Zrinjski fans didn’t react so well to Velez scoring a goal in extra team.  They did what any irrational fan base would do.  THEY CHARGED THE FIELD TO ATTACK VELEZ!

I have never seen anything like that before.  Velez sprinted towards the parking lot to avoid any further confrontation and possible curb stomping.  I’ve seen sports fans do some crazy things, but Zrinjski just made Philadelphia fans look like Puritans.  If Philly wants to keep their reputation as one of the most hostile crowds, they need to step it up a notch.

If this happened more often, soccer would definitely catch on.  If games always ended with teams fleeing for their lives, I’m sure America might find a new favorite sport.

Tweet
Get more Traffic

23 Rants to “Soccer Team Scores Winning Goal; Proceeds to Run F...”

1. Ryan says:

Never caught on in the USA? Go fuck yourself. MLS is huge, and is doing better than the non-existent NBA. ;)

• Lex says:

MLS is huge? rofl… that’s why it’s never on TV, right? hell, you can watch British soccer on TV in the US, but good luck finding MLS. guarantee more ppl in the US pay attention to the NFL and NBA even during lockouts than pay attention to MLS when they’re about to have their championship.

• DTz says:

Dude, ESPN had MLS on last night. NBA is sorry as hell, has been for years.

• cletus318 says:

Yes, but did anybody watch? MLS games on ESPN networks average about 250,000 viewers. But I guess that counts as ‘huge’ in your neck of the woods.

• Phil says:

MLS is on TV all the time, AYSO games are played during the season all over the US high school and college games have some good sized crowds. I played Soccer in AYSO and High school back in the 1970′s and we had a lot of teams and big crowds back then. Soccer has been pretty big in the US for years and MLS is doing real good now.

2. Dave says:

Oh yeah! Violence! Just what America needs more of.

3. Joe says:

Ignorance and arrogance toward soccer is nothing new, and the idea that more violence would be a good thing is as laughable as it is dangerous. Not physical enough? Say that to Taylor Twellman who had his career cut short due to concussions or Stu Holden who had his leg broken because of a bad tackle.

Let’s not to mention the Giants players faking injury to slow down the Rams hurry up offense in a Monday Night Football game. No, acting and flopping is just soccer’s problem.

I realize this will be dismissed as another soccer fan ranted about how people just don’t understand the game, but if you want to know why it’s the most popular game in the world, actually go to a game. You’ll find out that the tense lead up and release of a goal is the most beautiful moment in sports.

• Riley Schmitt says:

Joe, I also watch soccer. This article was written to drive views and create discussion. The jabs at soccer do just that. This article did its job if you took the time to write a comment. Thanks for stopping by.

4. Brian says:

Worse than Philly fans? Did Philly fans put a guy in a coma for wearing the wrong jersey? Did Flyers fans riot when we lost in the playoffs?

So, 43 years ago, some Philly fans threw some snowballs at Santa. Do you know the story? Here’s a link. http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/sports/smf/1201732777.shtml

People cry that Philly fans cheered Michael Irving’s injury many years ago. Look at the tape, they were cheering when it became obvious he was ok. Undoubtedly, there were a few who WERE actually cheering his injury, but I doubt anyone wanted him seriously injured. Dallas is a rival and we HATE Michael Irving, the player, not the person.

Philadelphia gets this bad wrap, and despite this rant, I honestly don’t even mind it. But the fact is that Philadelphia fans are not riotous, unruly mobs hellbent on destruction; we’re passionate fans who demand and expect effort from the players we pay to watch.

/rant

5. Brian says:

And yes, I know you were making your comment in jest, Riley, but many people actually believe what you said is true.

• Riley Schmitt says:

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. It was meant totally in jest and it was based off of the Santa incident. I respect Philly for having great fans that care about all sports.

6. Guderian says:

I’m a fan of many sports, including American football, baseball, tennis, boxing, etc, and soccer has become perhaps my favorite sport in just the past year. To say soccer’s not popular in the U.S. because it “lacks physicality” is utterly preposterous; first, why is baseball and golf so popular then? second, soccer is more physical than basketball w/o question. And have someone hit you hard in the shin with a hammer and you’l know what soccer players go thru: you writhe in pain for a minute, rub it off, and get back to it.

Also, Nikola Zrinjski was a Croat who made a stand with his 2,000 Croat warriors against 30,000 Ottoman-Muslim-Turks in the battle of Szigetvar: the result was the same as the 300 Spartans against the Persians – i.e. a pyrrhic victory for the Turks-their casualties were over 20,000 and their momentum for European conquest was dealt a SERIOUS blow. So what this writer doesn’t understand is that those Bosnian-Croats (the Zrinjski soccer team, town and fans) take beating the Bosnian-Muslims (the Velez team, town and fans) SERIOUSLY!

• Jim says:

Well said, however this tool is more interested in making jokes than real journalism. If he thinks this is funny, maybe he should attend an Old Firm clash between the Might Celtic and the Huns of Glasgow.

• Riley Schmitt says:

I did not know the information about this particularly rivalry, but thanks for the information. It helps provide more context to this story.

I also watch soccer. The comments were meant as humor-filled jabs at the sport. This drives views and feedback. Thanks for stopping by.

• History says:

1) That fight between 2000 Croats and 30,000 Ottomans – never happened. It was a series of fights and the odds were never that twisted.

2) Zrinjski (the football club, or soccer, whichever) is a club with fascist roots. Ante Pavelic, who was a nazi collaborator, killer of Jews in WW2 in Bosnia and Croatia, was their biggest fan. Zrinjski was his football club. I guess he enjoyed watching the games when he got tired of killing Jews, Serbs, Gypsies or whoever else.

3) Velez Mostar is NOT a Muslim club by any means. It was founded in 1922 by Orthodox Christians, it was open to Muslims and Catholics alike and is the only true multiethnic, multireligous and multinational club in Bosnia today. The fact that Croatian fascists rose in the 90′s and tried to eradicate the club, thus taking a large chunk of Croatians with them – does not take away from the fact that many Croatian supporters and players are still a great part of Velez.

What you are looking at was an attempted murder by the Pro-Fascist Zrinjski supporters against pro-socialist (red) Velez. PS… you can see their nazi signs on the stands from which they rushed the field.

7. Jim says:

Riley, from your picture you look like you’re about ten years old. So please stop with the Philadelphia comparisons. It is the sign of an ignorant blogger. Notice I didn’t say journalist, because your prose is infantile your work is lazy. Maybe next time just stick the irrelevant NBA, as I’m sure no one will be reading.

• Riley Schmitt says:

Let me break this down one by one.

First, I’m 20. Two, it was meant to be humorous. I know Philly is one of the best areas in the world to watch sports. They have some of the most passionate and knowledgeable fans in the world.

I’m doing something right if you are taking the time out of your busy day to leave me not one, but TWO comments. This post was meant to garner reaction and start discussion. Thanks for participating Jim!

8. Fred says:

Now that’s some hardcore racism. You don’t even have to be a different color in Europe to be hated. If your family name is spelled funny, that’s reason enough.

9. History says:

1) Velez Mostar is a blue-collar worker’s multi-ethnic, multi-religious and multi-national football club.

2) Zrinjski (the football club, or soccer, whichever) is a club with actually fascist roots. Ante Pavelic, who was a nazi collaborator, killer of Jews in WW2 in Bosnia and Croatia, was their biggest fan. Zrinjski was his football club. I guess he enjoyed watching the games when he got tired of killing Jews, Serbs, Gypsies or whoever else.

10. Albie says:

Hope it never come to America… If it does I would not cross the street to see a game Free!!!

11. Phil says:

The team that those were fans of should have been forced to forefit and those fans deserved to be shot with rubber bullets and beat with clubs friggin lowlife morons.

Leave a Rant

Agree? Disagree? Have a different opinion? Let us know what you think...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!