The 2014 Winter Olympics are now less than two months away as the world’s greatest athletes will gather in Sochi, Russia to compete for their countries. Lindsey Vonn is one of the best Olympic athletes and, arguably, is one of the most popular figures in the Winter Olympics sphere. From appearing in Sports Illustrated’s Swimsuit Edition to dating Tiger Woods, Vonn’s face has been all over the media for the past decade.
Heading into her fourth Winter Olympics, Vonn brings a legacy of greatness to the Alpine Skiing competitions this February. As a two-time medalist and a former Olympic champion, Vonn knows how to get it done on the biggest stage. The only question for her time in Sochi will be whether or not she can get her knees healthy and keep them strong enough to finish the Games well.
Vonn’s health issues began early in the 2013 skiing season as she tore both her ACL and MCL in a crash during a Super-G race. After spending most of the year recovering, Vonn got back out to compete but experienced another crash in late December. Although no serious damage was done, the uncertainty of her status does make some nervous.
In all reality, the doubt is likely just overcautious zeal as Vonn should make a strong showing in Sochi. Team USA fans can watch Vonn compete in the Super-G as well as her best event, the Olympic downhill race as she tries to bring home more medals. As long as her health remains, Vonn stands a great chance of winning because of her experience. Being the defending Olympic champion in the downhill and a four-time World Cup champion bodes well for Vonn so expect her to perform at the highest level and bring honor to the United States.
Lindsey Vonn Fun Facts:
1. Lindsey is still known by the last name Vonn which she got after marrying her now ex-husband and former U.S. skier, Thomas Vonn.
2. Vonn has been dating pro golfer Tiger Woods since early 2013 in what could possibly be one of the most athletic relationships in sports.
3. She was born in St. Paul, Minnesota and started skiing at just two years of age.
4. Vonn appeared in an episode of one of her favorite TV shows, “Law & Order.”
5. Lindsey is fluent in German.