Sochi 2014 Olympics USA Athlete Profile: Lolo Jones
With the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia swiftly approaching, we at Rant Sports are profiling some of the United State’s brightest stars. Although you may remember her from the Summer Olympics and the Track and Field world, Lolo Jones is indeed a competitor in the upcoming Winter Games.
Millions of Americans sat around television sets watching Jones compete in the finals of the 2008 100-meter hurdles in Beijing. The lasting memory for most was of Jones stumbling over one of the last hurdles with a commanding lead on her nearest competitor and finishing the race she likely would have won in seventh place. Jones laid on the ground, crying over her missed opportunity, but would not remain down and out for long. Jones returned to the Olympics with a trip to London in 2012 and, despite not medaling, proved that she was still a threat at the most elite level of her sport. Finishing fourth in the 2012 finals, Jones just missed out on the podium, but silenced the critics who doubted she could make it back.
Being the competitive athlete she is, Jones decided not to wait four more years to get back to the Olympics. In what is oddly reminiscent of an American version of Cool Runnings, Jones is an Olympic runner turned into a bobsledder as she began competing for the U.S. Near the end of October, Jones was named to the USA Bobsled National Team and ought to be named to the USA Olympic Bobsled Team later in January.
If you think Jones’ sledding is just a gimmick, think again. Jones was a part of the U.S. Team which swept the podium in a recent World Cup race. Along with her partner, Jamie Greubel, Jones finished tied for second with their teammates in the two-woman sled race and just behind another U.S. team. Be prepared to watch Lolo Jones at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi and to take her and the rest of Team USA’s bobsledders seriously.
Lolo Jones Fun Facts:
1. With a sense of humor that is evident even in just a couple of funny tweets below, Jones has developed her personal brand well.
— Lolo Jones (@lolojones) November 3, 2012
My arms get more tired flat ironing my hair than when I bench press
— Lolo Jones (@lolojones) December 14, 2013
2. Jones agreed to go on a date with Bubby Lyles, a follower of hers on twitter, if the young man could get 150,000 retweets. Lyles did it and Jones agreed to uphold her end of the bargain.
3. Jones was born as “Lori Jones,” but sharing the same name as her mother presented difficulties so the family always called her Lolo.
4. Lolo is a confessing Christian and has taken heat for her personal views, especially in regards to abstaining from premarital sexual relations.
5. Jones opted to attend and race for LSU despite originally planning on going to Iowa State, her home state’s school. She still resides in Baton Rouge and is a proud Tiger.