Quantcast
X

Have feedback / suggestions? Let us know!

Clubhouse

10 Worst Things About Watching Sports Movies

Picking Out the Worst Traits of Sports Movies

worst things about sports movies
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

There have been a number of wonderful sports films created in past years, but it seems that the majority of sports movies are absolutely atrocious. Keeping in mind that these films are generally not very good, I have picked out the 10 worst traits of most sports movies.

10. Dramatization of Personal Stories

worst traits of sports films
Getty Images

10. Dramatization of Personal Stories

worst traits of sports films
Getty Images

Everybody loves a great story of redemption and triumph, but Hollywood takes these types of stories and dramatizes them a ridiculous amount. While Hollywood does some good things, telling the complete truth about a story is not the film industry's best trait.

9. Inaccurate Depiction of On-Field Play

worst traits of sports films
Getty Images

9. Inaccurate Depiction of On-Field Play

worst traits about sports films
Getty Images

Sports films have gotten better about this in recent years, but there is still a huge difference between watching live sports and a filmed scene.

8. Emphasis on Having a Villain

Luis Suarez worst traits about sports films
Getty Images

8. Emphasis on Having a Villain

Luis Suarez worst traits about sports films
Getty Images

While making a good guy and a villain is a necessity in Hollywood, the truth is that not all sports stories have a good guy and bad guy. Unfortunately, this is never shown in sports films.

7. Many Sports Films Can't Use Real Team Logos

worst traits about sports films
Getty Images

7. Many Sports Films Can't Use Real Team Logos

worst traits about sports films
Getty Images

It is extremely frustrating to watch a sports film in which two teams are supposedly playing in the best league in any given sport, but they are using random team names. Of course this occurs because of copyright issues, but it is still extremely confusing and annoying.

6. Athletes Play Through Near-Fatal Injuries

worst traits about sports films
Getty Images

6. Athletes Play Through Near-Fatal Injuries

worst traits about sports films
Getty Images

This is clearly a classic Hollywood tactic, but it is still worrying that film makers think it is appropriate to show a guy getting knocked out cold or suffering some other serious injury and then walking back onto the field like nothing happened.

5. Coaches Are Portrayed As Some Sort of Superheroes

worst traits about sports films
Thomas Campbell-USA TODAY Sports

5. Coaches Are Portrayed As Some Sort of Superheroes

worst traits about sports films
Thomas Campbell-USA TODAY Sports

Coaches certainly play a great role in terms of tactics and pregame speeches, but the world should not act like they are some sort of superhero. In the end, it is up to the players to make the plays on the field to win games.

4. Athletes Are Almost All Shown to Be Jerks

worst traits sports films
Getty Images

4. Athletes Are Almost All Shown to Be Jerks

worst traits sports films
Getty Images

While some athletes are surely not very nice guys, it is disturbing that film makers often have a habit of showing athletes as perennial drug users and overall bad guys.

3. The Underdog Can't Always Win

worst traits sport films
Getty Images

3. The Underdog Can't Always Win

worst trait sports films
Getty Images

The sports film where the underdog loses is almost non-existent, but in really life the underdog, or good guy, certainly does not always win. Some accuracy from Hollywood producers would certainly be nice in this category.

2. Most Sports Films Have Awful Acting

worst trait sports films
Getty Images

2. Most Sports Films Have Awful Acting

worst trait sports films
Getty Images

Not all directors can get A-List actors for their films, but it sometimes seems that actors chosen for sports films have never acted in any capacity before. Of course, this is reflected in the quality of many sports films, or lack thereof.

1. Very Few Sports Films Are Actually Entertaining

worst trait sports films
Getty Images

1. Very Few Sports Films Are Actually Entertaining

worst sport films
Getty Images

It seems while only about 10 percent of sports flicks are great movies, while the other 90 percent are almost unbearable to watch at times. This history leads to vast cynicism of sports films and seems to bring down the overall quality of the genre.