Dennis Rodman Never had a Conversation with Michael Jordan or Scottie Pippen While Playing for Chicago

Published: 22nd Sep 11 10:07 am
Tweet
by Riley Schmitt
Big 10 Editor, NBA Featured Columnist
Rick Osentoski-US PRESSWIRE

The 1990s Chicago Bulls were one of the great basketball dynasties.  Led by Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, they won six titles in eight years.  It easily could have been eight in eight years, except Jordan retired to baseball.  The Bulls had two three-peats and Dennis Rodman joined them the second one.  The enigmatic Hall of Famer provided the perfect rebounding piece for the Bulls and was crucial in helping them their second batch of titles.  Rodman sat down for an interview recently and revealed that he never had a conversation with Jordan or Pippen while he played for the Bulls (here).

As strange as that sounds, I would believe Rodman 100 percent.  MJ was one of the most reserved players off the court.  Conscious of his social image, Jordan was all business, all the time.  Pippen was more complex and dealt with many issues while with the Bulls, which led him to be more reserved off the court.  Rodman was Rodman, and I’m not sure if you would even want to have a conversation with him.  Some say the Rodman persona is all an act, but I have serious doubts about a guy who wears a wedding dress to his book release.  Doesn’t sound like the guy I’m going to make small talk with.

This shows the HUGE difference between basketball now and in the past.  Today, basketball is more buddy-buddy.  There are few rivalries left in the NBA.  In the 80s and 90s, players on opposite teams rarely associated with each other.  Now the advent of the AAU circuit has had players playing together since they were barely in high school.  The kill or be killed attitude of the 90s Bulls has all but disappeared.

I may be desperate for my childhood, but I miss basketball when players didn’t always get along.  Basketball only had one goal.   Win the title above all else.  Friendship with other teams didn’t matter.  That’s why I miss the 90s Bulls so much.  Not only their were ruthless efficient, their three best players never had a conversation with each other off the court.  They were so totally committed to their goal, they never let their personal lives interfere with their pursuit of greatness.

Connect with Rant Sports
Get more Traffic

Leave a Rant

Agree? Disagree? Have a different opinion? Let us know what you think...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!