By Adam McGill
The Arnold Palmer Invitational consistently draws some of the best golfers in the world, rightfully so as it pays tribute to one of the best golfers to even pick up a tee. This year’s tournament is no exception with stars such as Phil Mickelson, Tiger Woods, and Justin Rose all participating. The event is a favorite among fantasy golf owners and will certainly draw a large audience in the first weekend of spring. Below are my top fantasy golfers for the API:
1. Phil Mickelson – Mickelson has not won the event since 1997, so “Lefty” is due to win Arnie P’s Tournament soon.
2. Tiger Woods – Tiger seems to be healthy following his lingering Achilles tendon sprain. He has worked relentlessly this week to improve his putting, so expect a much better performance than he had at the World Golf Championships.
3. Sergio Garcia – Garcia has finished in the top-ten 6 out of his last 10 times at the API, but has never held the trophy over his head. Garcia always puts up a strong performance and will be a big favorite this week.
4. Bill Haas – Haas has been very erratic since winning the Northern Trust Open, but should rebound after back-to-back solid rounds at the WGC (70 and 69).
5. Webb Simpson – Simpson had a great outing last week at the Transitions Championship with four straight rounds under 70 strokes.
6. Justin Rose – Rose made all six of his cuts this year and is swinging the club better than anyone.
7. Martin Laird – The Scotsman is the defending champion of the event and is a great sleeper this weekend.
8. Bubba Watson – Watson finished second at the WGC earlier this month and is averaging a respectable 69.6 strokes per round.
9. Jim Furyk – The “Furious Furyk” continues to crush the ball off the tee and his long drive will give him a shot on any open course.
10. Nick Watney – Watney is a great sleeper this week and always plays well on these sunny Florida courses.