Sonoma is by far the most hated track on the entire NASCAR circuit. The west coast road course has notoriously been filled with twists and turns, making the drivers drive at a much slower speed then they have grown accustomed to. The race always promises a handful of wrecks, due to tightness of turns 1 and 6, and it should be one of the most exciting fantasy races all season. Below are my full fantasy NASCAR rankings for the race in Sonoma:
1. Jeff Gordon – Gordon has been the most dominant driver at Sonoma in the history of the raceway. He was a record 5 wins here, but also has the record for most top-five’s (12) and top-ten’s (15). He is the safest pick this weekend and has a great chance to grab his first win of 2012.
2. Tony Stewart – Stewart has finished third and second in his last two races and is driving like a man possessed lately. He will win a race in the next couple weeks, so he belongs back atop everyone draft list.
3. Dale Earnhardt Jr. – Junior finally ended his public 143-race win-less streak last weekend by taking the checkered flag at Michigan. He is finally looking like the driver Hendrick brought him in to be and has become a true fantasy star.
4. Jimmie Johnson – “Double J” has three consecutive top-ten finishes at Sonoma and has been a road-warrior over the last couple seasons.
5. Joey Logano – Logano took the checked flag last weekend at Pocono and finished sixth here last year. “J-Lo” is certainly a big name to watch this weekend.
6. Kurt Busch – Busch won the race in 2011 and will be a great fantasy pick this weekend.
7. Matt Kenseth– Kenseth is still a top the point standing list with an impressive 565 points.
8. Carl Edwards – Edwards only has three top-5 finishes this year, actually finishing in fifth place in each race. He also placed third at Sonoma last year and does well on these types of tough road courses.
9. Kevin Harvick - Harvick has 12 finishes inside the top-11 this year and is a safe pick to crack the top-ten.
10. Brad Keselowski – Keselowski has surprisingly won 2 races this year and is exceptionally strong on road courses.