The race at Atlanta Motor Speedway (AMS) this weekend is drawing a record number of fans. The Atlanta area has already started putting out “Stewart vs. Kenseth” t-shirts, in preparation of the first race since Tony Stewart threw his helmet at Kenseth’s car it pit row out of frustration. There will be more paint being traded this weekended, making it another huge race for fantasy NASCAR fans. To help in your draft, here are my top fantasy NASCAR rankings for the Memorial Day Classic 500 this weekend:
1. Jimmie Johnson – Johnson only has won victory in his last eleven races this year. However, he has won three times at AMS, so expect him to drive like he owns the road this holiday weekend.
2. Tony Stewart – Stewart has also won three times in Atlanta, and seeing how he threw his helmet at a fellow racer in Bristol last weekend, he is obviously fired up right now.
3. Dale Earnhardt Jr. – Earnhardt Jr. has one career win in Atlanta, compared to his father’s record 9 checkered flags, so “Junior” obviously has some catching up to do.
4. Kasey Kahne – Kahne has won twice in Atlanta and will be a great sleeper this weekend.
5. Matt Kenseth – Kenseth is still fourth in points, which is most likely the real reason why the struggling Stewart threw his helmet at his windshield. Kenseth continues to put in solid performances week after week and the “K-man” will be extra motivated to show up Stewart this weekend.
6. Jeff Gordon – Gordon won in “Hot-lanta” in 2011 and will need another strong showing this weekend to stay in the chase.
7. Carl Edwards – Edwards has won this race three times since 2005.
8. Brad Keselowski – Keselowski finished 30th last weekend in Michigan, ending a streak of seven consecutive top-10 finishes. He has been one of the hottest drivers on the circuit over the last couple months, so expect him to get back on track this weekend.
9. Martin Truex Jr. - “MTJ” has 24 top-20 appearances in his 27 races this year, and he has not finished worse than 28th. Truex Jr. has been the model of consistency throughout 2012 season and should be a top-10 pick every week.
10. Clint Bowyer – Bowyer has four consecutive top-8 finishes and has really been stepping on the gas in the final stretch of the 2012 season