Fantasy Basketball: Dwyane Wade and Other December 1 Studs
Fantasy Basketball 2012 December 1 Best Performers
From great scoring performances to solid showings on defense featuring plenty of steals and blocks, elite individual performances can help owners win categories in Week 5 matchups. On Friday, November 30, Los Angeles Lakers SF/PF Antawn Jamison, Lakers C Dwight Howard and Indiana Pacers PF David West made up the top three studs from yesterday. From Jamison’s best game since the arrival of new head coach Mike D’Antoni to Howard’s 20-20 showing against the Denver Nuggets, these players certainly provided great fantasy performances for their owners in Week 5.
With 10 games on Saturday, December 1, 2012, fantasy squads had plenty of opportunities to improve their statistics in different categories. Who else provided fantasy owners with great numbers on this day of NBA action?
Saturday, December 1, 2012 Honorable Mentions:
10. Dallas Mavericks PF/C Elton Brand – 17 points, 12 rebounds, four blocks
9. Philadelphia 76ers SF/PF Thaddeus Young – 22 points, seven rebounds, four steals, four blocks
8. Pacers PF West – 23 points, eight rebounds, three steals
7. Chicago Bulls SF Luol Deng – 25 points (4-4 free throws), seven rebounds, seven assists, two steals
6. Portland Trail Blazers PG Damian Lillard – 24 points (four made 3-pointers), six rebounds, 11 assists
* The players’ percentage owned numbers for Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Basketball leagues and player statistics are accurate as of Saturday, December 1, 2012. Player ranks are determined according to ESPN’s Daily Leaders list. FGM-A = Field Goals Made-Attempted, FTM-A = Free Throws Made-Attempted, 3PM-A = 3-Pointers Made-Attempted, GP = Games Played, PTS = Points, REB = Rebounds, AST = Assists, STL = Steals, BLK = Blocks, TO = Turnovers.
1. PG/SG Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
Statistics: 34 minutes, 14-20 FGM-A, 5-6 FTM-A, 1-3 3PM-A, 34 PTS, 1 REB, 7 AST, 1 STL, 0 BLK, 0 TO
Season averages: 12 GP, .489 FG%, .762 FT%, 0.2 3PTM, 19.5 PTS, 4.1 REB, 4.9 AST, 1.3 ST, 0.8 BLK, 2.3 TO
Wade has started to make up for his poor start to the season due to migraines and a sore foot. Putting up a season-high 34 points against the Nets, he scored 30 or more points for the first time since March and looks to be making his way back to full health.
2. PF/C Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs
Statistics: 41 minutes, 11-17 FGM-A, 5-5 FTM-A, 0-0 3PM-A, 27 PTS, 15 REB, 4 AST, 1 STL, 1 BLK, 4 TO
Season averages: 17 GP, .538 FG%, .775 FT%, 0.1 3PTM, 18.4 PTS, 10.1 REB, 2.6 AST, 0.9 ST, 2.4 BLK, 1.5 TO
Like Wade, Duncan also recorded his season-high in scoring on this day with 27 points in an overtime win over the Grizzlies. Well rested after the controversial decision by coach Gregg Popovich to bench him for Thursday’s game, he also played a season-high 41 minutes on Saturday.
3. PF/C Anderson Varejao, Cleveland Cavaliers
3. PF/C Anderson Varejao, Cleveland Cavaliers (vs. Trail Blazers, 93% owned)
Statistics: 47 minutes, 7-11 FGM-A, 5-6 FTM-A, 0-0 3PM-A, 19 PTS, 17 REB, 5 AST, 2 STL, 0 BLK, 2 TO
Season averages: 16 GP, .536 FG%, .807 FT%, 0.0 3PTM, 15.1 PTS, 15.3 REB, 3.3 AST, 1.4 ST, 0.4 BLK, 1.8 TO
In a wild contest against the Trail Blazers that lasted two overtime periods, the Cavaliers came out as losers in the end after a Nicolas Batum 3-pointer. Despite this result, owners of Varejao continue to collect big rebounding numbers from Cleveland’s best fantasy option outside of Kyrie Irving when healthy.
4. PG Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs
4. PG Tony Parker, Spurs (vs. Grizzlies, 96% owned)
Statistics: 43 minutes, 11-20 FGM-A, 8-10 FTM-A, 0-1 3PM-A, 30 PTS, 4 REB, 6 AST, 1 STL, 1 BLK, 2 TO
Season averages: 16 GP, .488 FG%, .745 FT%, 0.4 3PTM, 18.1 PTS, 3.1 REB, 7.1 AST, 0.7 ST, 0.1 BLK, 2.0 TO
Like the rest of San Antonio’s Big Three, Parker was well rested after not playing on Thursday night against the Miami Heat. Continuing his aggressive play on offense, as instructed to him by Popovich, he reached the free throw line 10 times in this game, a season-high for the point guard.
5. PF/C Larry Sanders, Milwaukee Bucks
Statistics: 33 minutes, 7-11 FGM-A, 4-5 FTM-A, 0-0 3PM-A, 18 PTS, 16 REB, 1 AST, 1 STL, 5 BLK, 0 TO
Season averages: 15 GP, .565 FG%, .586 FT%, 0.0 3PTM, 8.1 PTS, 7.7 REB, 0.8 AST, 0.5 ST, 2.7 BLK, 1.3 TO
The Bucks decided to make a switch in the starting lineup yet it did not include Sanders, as Samuel Dalembert was replaced at center by Ekpe Udoh. Despite the change, Sanders was still the best performing frontcourt player on the team with plenty of points, rebounds and blocks in what has been a great breakout season for the third-year player.
5 Fantasy NASCAR Predictions for Toyota Owners 400
Here are five fantasy NASCAR predictions for the 2015 Toyota Owners 400. Read More