Fantasy Basketball: Paul Pierce and Other December 19 Studs
Fantasy Basketball 2012 December 19 Best Performers
From great scoring performances to solid showings on defense featuring plenty of steals and blocks, elite individual performances can help owners win categories in Week 8 matchups. On Tuesday, December 18, PF/C Tim Duncan, PG/SG Jamal Crawford and SF/PF LeBron James made up the top three studs from yesterday. From Duncan’s big overall showing in a loss to the Denver Nuggets to Crawford’s triple-double against the Atlanta Hawks, these players certainly provided great fantasy performances for their owners in Week 8.
With 11 games on Wednesday, December 19, 2012, fantasy squads had plenty of opportunities to improve their statistics in different categories. Who else provided fantasy owners with great numbers on this day of NBA action?
Wednesday, December 19, 2012 Honorable Mentions:
10. SF/PF Carmelo Anthony – 31 points (four made 3-pointers), two steals
9. PG Kemba Walker – 27 points (7-8 free throws, two made 3-pointers), six assists
8. PG Stephen Curry – 32 points (seven made 3-pointers), six rebounds
7. PG Russell Westbrook – 27 points (8-8 free throws), 11 assists, two steals
6. PF/C David Lee – 29 points (5-6 free throws), eight rebounds, five assists
* The players’ percentage owned numbers for Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Basketball leagues and player statistics are accurate as of Wednesday, December 19, 2012. Player ranks are determined according to ESPN’s Daily Leaders list. FGM-A = Field Goals Made-Attempted, FTM-A = Free Throws Made-Attempted, 3PM-A = 3-Pointers Made-Attempted, GP = Games Played, PTS = Points, REB = Rebounds, AST = Assists, STL = Steals, BLK = Blocks, TO = Turnovers.
5. SG/SF James Harden, Houston Rockets
5. SG/SF James Harden (vs. Philadelphia 76ers, 100% owned)
Statistics: 37 minutes, 7-12 FGM-A, 17-18 FTM-A, 2-3 3PM-A, 33 PTS, 2 REB, 7 AST, 0 STL, 1 BLK, 2 TO
Season averages: 24 GP, .436 FG%, .866 FT%, 1.9 3PTM, 25.4 PTS, 4.5 REB, 5.3 AST, 1.8 ST, 0.5 BLK, 3.7 TO
In a huge win over the 76ers, Harden led the Houston Rockets with an incredible day from the foul line, missing just one of his 18 attempts. With this game, he has now scored 20 or more points in seven-straight games and has no signs of slowing down.
4. SF Michael-Kidd Gilchrist, Charlotte Bobcats
4. SF Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (at Phoenix Suns, 81% owned)
Statistics: 36 minutes, 9-14 FGM-A, 7-8 FTM-A, 0-0 3PM-A, 25 PTS, 12 REB, 4 AST, 3 STL, 1 BLK, 0 TO
Season averages: 25 GP, .495 FG%, .768 FT%, 0.0 3PTM, 11.0 PTS, 6.4 REB, 1.9 AST, 0.9 ST, 1.4 BLK, 1.5 TO
The rookie has yet to have many excellent fantasy performances, yet he certainly accomplished this by typing career-highs in points and rebounds. Having an up and down season so far, Kidd-Gilchrist has shown the ability to sometimes have these breakout games.
3. C Greg Monroe, Detroit Pistons
3. C Greg Monroe (at Toronto Raptors, 98% owned)
Statistics: 35 minutes, 14-22 FGM-A, 7-8 FTM-A, 0-0 3PM-A, 35 PTS, 10 REB, 2 AST, 2 STL, 0 BLK, 1 TO
Season averages: 28 GP, .468 FG%, .700 FT%, 0.0 3PTM, 15.7 PTS, 9.1 REB, 3.4 AST, 1.5 ST, 0.6 BLK, 3.1 TO
After weeks of so-so performances, Monroe had his best outing of the month with a big double-double against the Raptors. This was his first double-double since November 26, as his scoring production has been a little lacking as of late.
2. SF Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
2. SF Kevin Durant (at Hawks, 100% owned)
Statistics: 41 minutes, 14-23 FGM-A, 9-10 FTM-A, 4-8 3PM-A, 41 PTS, 13 REB, 3 AST, 0 STL, 2 BLK, 6 TO
Season averages: 25 GP, .519 FG%, .900 FT%, 1.6 3PTM, 27.7 PTS, 8.5 REB, 4.2 AST, 1.5 ST, 1.4 BLK, 3.5 TO
Durant continued his string of productive outings, as he led all scorers of the day with 41 points in the Thunder’s twelfth-straight victory. This was also his first double-double since recording a triple-double on November 18 against the Golden State Warriors.
1. SF Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics
1. SF Paul Pierce (vs. Cleveland Cavaliers, 99% owned)
Statistics: 34 minutes, 13-16 FGM-A, 8-8 FTM-A, 6-7 3PM-A, 40 PTS, 8 REB, 5 AST, 3 STL, 1 BLK, 1 TO
Season averages: 25 GP, .436 FG%, .818 FT%, 1.9 3PTM, 20.4 PTS, 5.5 REB, 3.6 AST, 1.6 ST, 0.4 BLK, 2.4 TO
Pierce had one of the most efficient games of the day, as he was able to score 40 points on just 24 shot attempts (free throws included). Also chipping in with contributions in other categories, such as eight rebounds and three steals, this is only the third time this season he’s made 10 or more baskets from the field.
Fantasy Week 8 Waiver Wire Pickup: Denard Robinson
Is Jacksonville Jaguars RB Denard Robinson a one-week wonder? Read More