Fantasy Football Review: Top Quarterbacks of 2012
Fantasy Football 2012: Best Quarterbacks Review
The 2012 fantasy football season featured plenty of big seasons by quarterbacks. From elite players at the position who have put up big numbers week in and week out to newcomers who will likely be big stars in 2013, the quarterback position has certainly grown into a deep position filled with talent around the league in all rounds of the draft. Using a standard scoring system, here’s a look at the top quarterbacks of the 2012 fantasy football season.
Fantasy Football 2012 Honorable Mentions at Quarterback:
10. Matthew Stafford – 292.58 points (4,967 passing yards, 20 passing touchdowns, 17 interceptions, 126 rushing yards, 4 rushing touchdowns, 3 receiving yards, 1 2-point conversion, 4 fumbles lost)
9. Andrew Luck – 294.46 points (4,374 passing yards, 23 passing touchdowns, 18 interceptions, 255 rushing yards, 5 rushing touchdowns, 5 fumbles lost)
8. Tony Romo – 297.92 points (4,903 passing yards, 28 passing touchdowns, 19 interceptions, 49 rushing yards, 1 rushing touchdown, -1 receiving yard, 2 2-point conversions, 3 fumbles lost)
7. Matt Ryan – 318.56 points (4,719 passing yards, 32 passing touchdowns, 14 interceptions, 141 rushing yards, 1 rushing touchdown, 2 fumbles lost)
6. Peyton Manning – 322.06 points (4,659 passing yards, 37 passing touchdowns, 11 interceptions, 6 rushing yards, 1 2-point conversion, 2 fumbles lost)
* Player statistics accurate as of the end of the 2012-13 regular season. Fantasy point totals determined through standard Yahoo! fantasy football scoring structure. Passing Yards - 25 yards per point, Passing Touchdowns - 4, Interceptions - minus-1, Rushing Yards - 10 yards per point, Rushing Touchdowns - 6, Reception Yards - 10 yards per point, Reception Touchdowns - 6, Return Touchdowns - 6, 2-Point Conversions - 2, Fumbles Lost - minus-2, Offensive Fumble Return TD - 6.
5. Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins
5. Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins – 323.60 points
Season statistics: 3,200 passing yards, 20 passing touchdowns, 5 interceptions, 815 rushing yards, 7 rushing touchdowns, 2 fumbles lost
While Luck and Russell Wilson also had great fantasy seasons in their rookie season, no first-year quarterback shined more than Griffin. Like Cam Newton last season, he was deadly with an accurate arm and even more dangerous in the read-option offense alongside running back Alfred Morris. From start to finish, Griffin proved to be a top fantasy quarterback from the get go.
4. Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers
4. Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers – 335.46 points
Season statistics: 3,869 passing yards, 19 passing touchdowns, 12 interceptions, 741 rushing yards, 8 rushing touchdowns, 6 receiving yards, 3 fumbles lost
Speaking of Newton, the Panthers quarterback achieved most of his success during the second half of the season. Particularly at the top of his game during the fantasy football playoffs, he still found a way to put up big numbers this season despite lacking an elite supporting cast.
3. Tom Brady, New England Patriots
3. Tom Brady, New England Patriots – 348.28 points
Season statistics: 4,827 passing yards, 34 passing touchdowns, 8 interceptions, 32 rushing yards, 4 rushing touchdowns
Despite having just a few huge performances, Brady was as consistent as they come. Averaging over 300 passing yards a game, he had no trouble finding his various targets all season long and provided fantasy owners with great outings every week.
2. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
2. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers – 351.60 points
Season statistics: 4,295 passing yards, 39 passing touchdowns, 8 interceptions, 259 rushing yards, 2 rushing touchdowns, -1 receiving yard, 1 2-point conversion, 4 fumbles lost
Similar to Newton, Rodgers started the season slow as the Packers struggled out of the gate. The Packers consistently won after early-season struggles and his numbers showed with 41 total touchdowns on the season.
1. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
1. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints – 364.58 points
Season statistics: 5,177 passing yards, 43 passing touchdowns, 19 interceptions, 5 rushing yards, 1 rushing touchdown, 1 fumble lost
The most-consistent quarterback in the league, Brees overcame an 0-4 start to finish the year with the most fantasy points among quarterbacks. As the only quarterback to finish the season with over 5,000 passing yards, he and many other Saint players had great fantasy seasons despite not making the playoffs this season.