Fantasy Basketball: Carmelo Anthony and Other January 5 Studs
Fantasy Basketball 2013: January 5 Best Performers
From great scoring performances to solid showings on defense featuring plenty of steals and blocks, elite individual performances can help owners win categories in Week 10 matchups. On Friday, January 4, PF/C DeMarcus Cousins, PG Kyrie Irving and PG Chris Paul made up the top three studs from yesterday. From Cousins’ huge game of 31 points and 20 rebounds, both career-highs, against the Toronto Raptors to Irving’s best all-around game of the season against the Charlotte Bobcats, these players certainly provided great fantasy performances for their owners in Week 10.
With 10 games on Saturday, January 5, 2013, fantasy squads had plenty of opportunities to improve their statistics in different categories. Who else provided fantasy owners with great numbers on this day of NBA action?
Saturday, January 5, 2013 Honorable Mentions:
10. PG Kyrie Irving – 30 points (7-8 free throws, three made 3-pointers), six assists, four steals
9. SF Paul Pierce – 26 points (7-9 free throws, three made 3-pointers), nine rebounds, five assists
8. C Roy Hibbert – 20 points (4-4 free throws), 15 rebounds, five blocks
7. C Nikola Pekovic – 21 points, 15 rebounds, two blocks
6. PG Jameer Nelson – 29 points (4-4 free throws, five made 3-pointers), eight assists
* The players’ percentage owned numbers for Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Basketball leagues and player statistics are accurate as of Saturday, January 5, 2013. Player ranks are determined according to ESPN’s Daily Leaders list. FGM-A = Field Goals Made-Attempted, FTM-A = Free Throws Made-Attempted, 3PM-A = 3-Pointers Made-Attempted, GP = Games Played, PTS = Points, REB = Rebounds, AST = Assists, STL = Steals, BLK = Blocks, TO = Turnovers.
5. SG/SF Nicolas Batum, Portland Trail Blazers
5. SG/SF Nicolas Batum (at Minnesota Timberwolves, 99% owned)
Statistics: 38 minutes, 9-11 FGM-A, 3-3 FTM-A, 5-6 3PM-A, 26 PTS, 5 REB, 3 AST, 0 STL, 3 BLK, 1 TO
Season averages: 32 GP, .426 FG%, .872 FT%, 2.5 3PTM, 16.3 PTS, 5.6 REB, 4.3 AST, 1.5 ST, 1.2 BLK, 2.5 TO
Making five of his six 3-pointers, Batum looked unfazed in the Portland Trail Blazers’ fourth road game in five nights. With Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio out for this game, he played well against a wounded Timberwolves team and had a productive output in the 102-97 win.
4. PF/C DeMarcus Cousins, Sacramento Kings
4. PF/C DeMarcus Cousins (at Brooklyn Nets, 99% owned)
Statistics: 34 minutes, 11-18 FGM-A, 6-8 FTM-A, 0-0 3PM-A, 28 PTS, 11 REB, 3 AST, 0 STL, 1 BLK, 0 TO
Season averages: 29 GP, .429 FG%, .787 FT%, 0-0 3PTM, 17.4 PTS, 10.3 REB, 2.7 AST, 1.4 ST, 0.6 BLK, 2.5 TO
In back-to-back nights, Cousins has led the Sacramento Kings. Despite losing against the Nets, he put up another big double-double and has now averaged 22.0 points, 14.2 rebounds and 5.0 assists in his last five games.
3. PG/SG Greivis Vasquez, New Orleans Hornets
3. PG/SG Greivis Vasquez (at Dallas Mavericks, 79% owned)
Statistics: 41 minutes, 11-18 FGM-A, 0-2 FTM-A, 3-6 3PM-A, 25 PTS, 7 REB, 9 AST, 1 STL, 0 BLK, 1 TO
Season averages: 33 GP, .434 FG%, .779 FT%, 1.2 3PTM, 14.0 PTS, 4.5 REB, 9.0 AST, 0.6 ST, 0.1 BLK, 3.3 TO
Even with the return of Eric Gordon, Vasquez has still played at an incredibly-high level for fantasy owners. Putting together another high-scoring, well-rounded outing, he was also one rebound shy of a triple-double in his last game.
2. PG Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers
2. PG Chris Paul (vs. Golden State Warriors, 100% owned)
Statistics: 28 minutes, 10-12 FGM-A, 2-2 FTM-A, 5-6 3PM-A, 27 PTS, 5 REB, 9 AST, 1 STL, 0 BLK, 0 TO
Season averages: 35 GP, .480 FG%, .899 FT%, 1.2 3PTM, 17.0 PTS, 3.6 REB, 9.3 AST, 2.6 ST, 0.0 BLK, 2.1 TO
Just a couple days since last facing the Warriors, Paul had a much better performance this go around with 27 points on 10-for-12 shooting from the field. With four games played in the past five days, the blowout win gave him a chance to play less minutes yet still put together a very productive day.
1. SF/PF Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks
1. SF/PF Carmelo Anthony (at Orlando Magic, 100% owned)
Statistics: 45 minutes, 14-29 FGM-A, 8-9 FTM-A, 4-9 3PM-A, 40 PTS, 6 REB, 6 AST, 1 STL, 0 BLK, 1 TO
Season averages: 27 GP, .477 FG%, .829 FT%, 2.7 3PTM, 29.3 PTS, 6.3 REB, 2.2 AST, 1.0 ST, 0.5 BLK, 2.5 TO
Already his second 40-point game of January, Anthony has been very accurate as a shooter since missing his team’s last two games of 2012 with a knee injury. He has bounced back quick and has continued playing like an elite fantasy option despite not being a top provider in other stat categories.
15 Players You Can Safely Drop in Fantasy Football
These 15 NFL players just aren't what the masses think they are in 2015 fantasy football, and can be dropped in Week 13. Read More