Fantasy Basketball: Kevin Durant and Other January 7 Studs
Fantasy Basketball 2013: January 7 Best Performers
From great scoring performances to solid showings on defense featuring plenty of steals and blocks, elite individual performances can help owners win categories in Week 11 matchups. On Sunday, January 6, C Dwight Howard, C Greg Monroe and SF Kevin Durant made up the top three studs from yesterday. From Howard’s massive 26-rebound game against the Denver Nuggets to Monroe’s well-rounded 18 points, 14 rebounds and six assists against the Charlotte Bobcats, these players certainly provided great fantasy performances for their owners in Week 10.
With seven games on Monday, January 7, 2013, fantasy squads had plenty of opportunities to improve their statistics in different categories. Who else provided fantasy owners with great numbers on this day of NBA action?
Monday, January 7, 2013 Honorable Mentions:
10. SF Luol Deng – 19 points (two made 3-pointers), five rebounds, seven assists, four steals
9. SG/SF Wesley Matthews – 24 points (6-8 free throws, four made 3-pointers), four assists, two blocks
8. PF/C J.J. Hickson – 20 points, 15 rebounds
7. SG/SF Wayne Ellington – 26 points (six made 3-pointers), four assists
6. PF/C Carlos Boozer – 24 points (8-8 free throws), 11 rebounds, four assists
* The players’ percentage owned numbers for Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Basketball leagues and player statistics are accurate as of Monday, January 7, 2013. Player ranks are determined according to ESPN’s Daily Leaders list. FGM-A = Field Goals Made-Attempted, FTM-A = Free Throws Made-Attempted, 3PM-A = 3-Pointers Made-Attempted, GP = Games Played, PTS = Points, REB = Rebounds, AST = Assists, STL = Steals, BLK = Blocks, TO = Turnovers.
5. SG J.J. Redick, Orlando Magic
5. SG J.J. Redick (at Portland Trail Blazers, 69% owned)
Statistics: 33 minutes, 11-17 FGM-A, 1-1 FTM-A, 6-10 3PM-A, 29 PTS, 1 REB, 5 AST, 0 STL, 1 BLK, 1 TO
Season averages: 33 GP, .440 FG%, .902 FT%, 2.1 3PTM, 14.4 PTS, 2.3 REB, 4.6 AST, 0.6 ST, 0.1 BLK, 2.1 TO
Playing 33 minutes off the bench, Redick led his team in scoring and made an impressive six 3-pointers against a solid defensive team in the Trail Blazers. Struggling to score to start the new year, this great game might hopefully help him find some sense of consistency in 2013.
4. PF/C LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland Trail Blazers
4. PF/C LaMarcus Aldridge (vs. Orlando Magic, 100% owned)
Statistics: 42 minutes, 12-22 FGM-A, 3-3 FTM-A, 0-0 3PM-A, 27 PTS, 10 REB, 5 AST, 0 STL, 0 BLK, 2 TO
Season averages: 32 GP, .469 FG%, .809 FT%, 0.0 3PTM, 20.6 PTS, 8.4 REB, 2.5 AST, 0.9 ST, 1.3 BLK, 2.0 TO
Aldridge had 27 points and 10 rebounds in a tough contest against the Magic. Even with big games by teammates Wesley Matthews and J.J. Hickson, he was able to lead all players with 22 shot attempts and had no trouble putting up some great overall numbers.
3. PF/C Serge Ibaka, Oklahoma City Thunder
3. PF/C Serge Ibaka (at Washington Wizards, 100% owned)
Statistics: 35 minutes, 12-17 FGM-A, 1-2 FTM-A, 1-2 3PM-A, 26 PTS, 11 REB, 1 AST, 0 STL, 2 BLK, 2 TO
Season averages: 34 GP, .572 FG%, .811 FT%, 0.2 3PTM, 14.8 PTS, 8.6 REB, 0.4 AST, 0.3 ST, 2.9 BLK, 1.6 TO
Only his seventh double-double of the season, Ibaka had a great day from the field and even made a 3-pointer in a last-second loss to the Wizards. One of the most improved players when it comes to offensive game, he has really developed into one of the elite all-around power forwards in fantasy basketball.
2. SG/SF Gordon Hayward, Utah Jazz
2. SG/SF Gordon Hayward (vs. Dallas Mavericks, 61% owned)
Statistics: 34 minutes, 8-14 FGM-A, 7-9 FTM-A, 4-5 3PM-A, 27 PTS, 6 REB, 5 AST, 1 STL, 2 BLK, 0 TO
Season averages: 36 GP, .430 FG%, .836 FT%, 1.2 3PTM, 13.7 PTS, 2.9 REB, 2.2 AST, 0.8 ST, 0.6 BLK, 1.8 TO
Struggling to hit the 20-point mark for quite some time, Hayward looked dominant in a big win over the Mavericks. While his scoring has been consistent for the most part, his contributions in this game in all of the other categories are what is more valuable to owners.
1. SF Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
1. SF Kevin Durant (at Wizards, 100% owned)
Statistics: 41 minutes, 9-19 FGM-A, 9-10 FTM-A, 2-6 3PM-A, 29 PTS, 7 REB, 8 AST, 3 STL, 0 BLK, 4 TO
Season averages: 34 GP, .517 FG%, .903 FT%, 1.7 3PTM, 28.2 PTS, 7.8 REB, 4.3 AST, 1.6 ST, 1.2 BLK, 3.3 TO
Just another day at the office for Durant, as he matched most of his season averages against the Wizards. This was his second straight game with at least seven rebounds and seven assists, which adds and showcases his all-around contributions.
15 Players You Can Safely Drop in Fantasy Football
These 15 NFL players just aren't what the masses think they are in 2015 fantasy football, and can be dropped in Week 13. Read More