Fantasy Basketball: James Harden and Other January 8 Studs
Fantasy Basketball 2013: January 8 Best Performers
From great scoring performances to solid showings on defense featuring plenty of steals and blocks, elite individual performances can help owners win categories in Week 11 matchups. On Monday, January 7, SF Kevin Durant, SG/SF Gordon Hayward and PF/C Serge Ibaka made up the top three studs from yesterday. From Durant’s 29 points, eight assists, seven rebounds and three steals against the Washington Wizards to Hayward’s best scoring performance in quite some time against the Dallas Mavericks, these players certainly provided great fantasy performances for their owners in Week 11.
With five games on Tuesday, January 8, 2013, fantasy squads had plenty of opportunities to improve their statistics in different categories. Who else provided fantasy owners with great numbers on this day of NBA action?
Tuesday, January 8, 2013 Honorable Mentions:
10. PG Steve Nash – 16 points (4-4 free throws), five rebounds, 10 assists
9. SF/PF Metta World Peace – 24 points (four made 3-pointers), six rebounds, four steals
8. SF/PF Andrei Kirilenko – 21 points (5-5 free throws, two made 3-pointers), six rebounds, five assists
7. PF/C Al Horford – 19 points, 11 rebounds, two steals
6. SG/SF Paul George – 29 points (four made 3-pointers), 11 rebounds
* The players’ percentage owned numbers for Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Basketball leagues and player statistics are accurate as of Tuesday, January 8, 2013. Player ranks are determined according to ESPN’s Daily Leaders list. FGM-A = Field Goals Made-Attempted, FTM-A = Free Throws Made-Attempted, 3PM-A = 3-Pointers Made-Attempted, GP = Games Played, PTS = Points, REB = Rebounds, AST = Assists, STL = Steals, BLK = Blocks, TO = Turnovers.
5. PG/SG Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
5. PG/SG Dwyane Wade (at Indiana Pacers, 100% owned)
Statistics: 36 minutes, 9-16 FGM-A, 1-3 FTM-A, 4-6 3PM-A, 30 PTS, 5 REB, 3 AST, 0 STL, 1 BLK, 2 TO
Season averages: 29 GP, .511 FG%, .747 FT%, 0.4 3PTM, 20.8 PTS, 4.6 REB, 4.3 AST, 1.2 ST, 0.6 BLK, 2.6 TO
Only his second 30-point game of the season, Wade has made some good progress this season since missing some time earlier in the year. A nice surprise for fantasy owners in this game were his season-high four made 3-pointers.
4. SF/PF Josh Smith, Atlanta Hawks
4. SF/PF Josh Smith (at Minnesota Timberwolves, 100% owned)
Statistics: 38 minutes, 8-14 FGM-A, 3-5 FTM-A, 2-4 3PM-A, 21 PTS, 13 REB, 7 AST, 1 STL, 2 BLK, 4 TO
Season averages: 31 GP, .443 FG%, .540 FT%, 0.7 3PTM, 16.9 PTS, 8.4 REB, 3.7 AST, 1.5 ST, 2.3 BLK, 3.0 TO
Struggling with a hip injury not too long ago, Smith had a very solid double-double against the Timberwolves and put together a great all-around performance. While his shooting percentages are still not up to par, his overall contributions, especially in the rebound, assist and block categories has improved recently.
3. C Nikola Pekovic, Minnesota Timberwolves
3. C Nikola Pekovic (vs. Atlanta Hawks, 77% owned)
Statistics: 35 minutes, 9-15 FGM-A, 7-8 FTM-A, 0-0 3PM-A, 25 PTS, 18 REB, 1 AST, 0 STL, 1 BLK, 1 TO
Season averages: 29 GP, .510 FG%, .782 FT%, 0.0 3PTM, 16.2 PTS, 8.7 REB, 1.0 AST, 0.6 ST, 0.9 BLK, 1.9 TO
Another player with a hip injury, Pekovic played on Tuesday and provided some huge numbers for fantasy owners. Playing more than his typical workload of 32 minutes, he showed no signs of slowing after leaving Saturday’s game with the injury.
2. PG Brandon Jennings, Milwaukee Bucks
2. PG Brandon Jennings (vs. Phoenix Suns, 99% owned)
Statistics: 37 minutes, 9-15 FGM-A, 6-6 FTM-A, 5-7 3PM-A, 29 PTS, 3 REB, 9 AST, 1 STL, 1 BLK, 2 TO
Season averages: 33 GP, .405 FG%, .838 FT%, 1.9 3PTM, 18.1 PTS, 3.6 REB, 5.9 AST, 2.1 ST, 0.2 BLK, 2.5 TO
Jennings had a big game behind the arc as his five 3-pointers made up for about half of his scoring in the win over the Phoenix Suns. His nine assists were also the most he’s had in one game since November 17, 2012.
1. SG/SF James Harden, Houston Rockets
1. SG/SF James Harden (vs. Los Angeles Lakers, 100% owned)
Statistics: 40 minutes, 11-19 FGM-A, 8-8 FTM-A, 1-4 3PM-A, 31 PTS, 6 REB, 9 AST, 0 STL, 0 BLK, 4 TO
Season averages: 34 GP, .453 FG%, .862 FT%, 2.0 3PTM, 26.6 PTS, 4.2 REB, 5.4 AST, 1.9 ST, 0.5 BLK, 3.5 TO
Harden scored 31 points for the second time this month in an impressive and productive outing against the Lakers. On the cusp of breaking a franchise record, he has scored 25 or more points in 13 straight games.
Fantasy Football 2015: Buy or Sell Kelvin Benjamin
Kelvin Benjamin finished with the second-most receiving yards of all rookie WRs last season. Can he improve on those numbers in 2015 for fantasy football owners? Read More
Fantasy Football 2015 Buy or Sell: WR Amari Cooper
Amari Cooper was the No. 4 overall selection in the 2015 NFL Draft, but should he be an early target in your fantasy football draft? Read More