2013 Fantasy Football: Wide Receiver Report
During the 2012 fantasy football season, WR Calvin Johnson played like a man possessed. Megatron hauled in 122 passes for a NFL record 1,964 receiving yards. He may have only hauled in five touchdowns, but his staggering yardage total has finally moved a wide receiver back into the first round in drafts this summer.
This is one of the deepest seasons for wide receivers in the history of fantasy football. There are around 20 quality wideouts that could be used as a WR1 and some of them will even fall all the way to the third round. Needless to say, there is no need to reach for Calvin in a non-PPR league.
To help you formulate your draft strategy, here is my full fantasy football report for the wide receiver position.
Top 10 Average Draft Position (ESPN):
1. Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions – 10.0
2. A.J. Green, Cincinnati Bengals – 16.3
3. Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys – 19.0
4. Brandon Marshall, Chicago Bears – 21.6
5. Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons – 22.7
6. Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos – 26.6
7. Roddy White, Atlanta Falcons – 29.7
8. Andre Johnson, Houston Texans – 30.5
9. Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals – 33.8
10. Vincent Jackson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers – 34.4
Top 10 Sleepers:
1. Marques Colston, New Orleans Saints
2. DeSean Jackson, Philadelphia Eagles
3. Jordy Nelson, Green Bay Packers
4. Greg Jennings, Minnesota Vikings
5. Steve Johnson, Buffalo Bills
6. T.Y. Hilton, Indianapolis Colts
7. Chris Givens, St. Louis Rams
8. Robert Woods, Buffalo Bills
9. Kenbrell Thompkins, New England Patriots
10. Rueben Randle, New York Giants
The Injury Concern:
The loss of Percy Harvin for the first part of the season fortunately allows me to not delve into the track record of his injures. However, guys like Hakeem Nicks, Marques Colston, Danny Amenola, and Pierre Garcon are all ranked inside of the top 30 wideouts and all come with injury risk this season.
Pierre Garcon – Garcon has missed 12 games in his five pro seasons. He had off-season shoulder surgery.
Hakeem Nicks – Nicks has missed 20 starts over his last four seasons. He is still nursing a groin injury.
The wide receiver spot is quickly becoming the deepest position in all of fantasy football, so don’t be afraid to go RB-RB-WR in the first three rounds this summer.
Make sure to check out my top 100 Facts to Remember Before Drafting.
2015 Fantasy Baseball: Padres Acquire Justin Upton
The San Diego Padres have acquired OF Justin Upton. Will the move have a dramatic impact on his fantasy value in 2015? Read More