Fantasy Football: New York Giants’ Defense Delivers Again in Week 11
In a city that never sleeps, it was only a matter of time before the Giants awoke.
After starting the season with a calamitous 0-6 record, the New York Giants are building an improbable postseason push on the solid foundation provided by their resurgent defense.
The trade for former Carolina Panthers linebacker Jon Beason has created competition for places up front, while the backfield (with the exception of Corey Webster) is now back to full strength and no longer competing with makeshift stopgaps. It’s no coincidence that the Giants’ defense has become relevant in fantasy football during their current four-game winning streak.
The team’s fortunes as a whole run parallel with the increased production on what was a considerably underperforming defensive unit. Now brace yourselves, here come the astonishing numbers that make up this remarkable turnaround:
- Through the first six weeks of the 2013 season, the Giants’ defense contributed just six points in total.
- During Weeks 2 and 5, they scored minus points in outings against the Denver Broncos and Philadelphia Eagles respectively.
- They toppled this total in just one game, scoring 11 points in their first win of the season against the Minnesota Vikings.
- The Giants’ defense has now scored double-digit points in fantasy football in their last four outings.
- The Giants’ D has ranked in the top-four defenses in terms of fantasy points for three consecutive weeks
- Thanks to Jason Pierre-Paul and rookie Cooper Taylor, the Giants have back-to-back games with a defensive touchdown
After receiving scathing criticism for their lack of a once-famous pass rush, the Giants registered four sacks in back-to-back games on either side of their bye in Weeks 8 and 10. Though they could not get to the quarterback in their most recent victory over the Green Bay Packers, they did total a season-high three interceptions, the last of which was returned for a lucrative fantasy score and sealed up the contest.
Pierre-Paul is seeing extra production week after week, which is the first ominous sign for the opposition. We should also recognize the continuing efforts from secondary veterans Antrel Rolle and Terrell Thomas; Thomas led the team in tackles for the second time in three games, while Rolle now has three interceptions and two sacks during the four-game winning streak.
You can’t argue with the numbers, especially in fantasy football. The Giants will host the Dallas Cowboys in Week 12 before travelling to the Washington Redskins. The next two weeks provide more opportunities in winnable contests, something that goes hand-in-hand with fantasy points for this resurrected defensive unit.
You were warned one week ago that the Giants’ defense was on the up. After four consecutive games with double-figures in the fantasy stakes, unless you happen to own the Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks or Panthers, can you afford to ignore the New York Giants’ defense any longer?
The Perfect FanDuel NBA Playoffs Lineup On Apr. 27
Join me in building the perfect NBA Playoffs FanDuel lineup for Apr. 27. Read More