Atlanta Braves 5, San Francisco Giants 2: Game Notes
Notes on the San Francisco Giants 5-2 loss to the Atlanta Braves:
- Giants catcher Buster Posey and Braves third baseman Chipper Jones both had scheduled days off today.
- Posey did appear as a pinch-hitter in the ninth, but he sent a fly ball to center for the last out of the game.
- Right after the FOX announcers mentioned Eli Whiteside was catching, he threw out Martin Prado, who was attempting to steal second, by a few feet.
- According to a later “Sounds of the Game” segment, that prompted home plate umpire Jim Joyce to quip, “That was pretty quick, big boy.”
- Tim Hudson threw 26 pitches in the second inning.
- Tim Lincecum threw 27 pitches in the third inning.
- Cody Ross got his first hit and run batted in of the season on a single in the second.
Read my recap of this game:
Papelbon Has Earned Right to be Dealt to Contender
Philadelphia Phillies closer Jonathan Papelbon has earned the right to be traded to a contender. Read More
5 Players Rays Should Target Before Trade Deadline
In order to make a late-season surge, the Tampa Bay Rays will need to make some moves. Here are five players they should target before the trade deadline. Read More
Cubs' Recent Struggles At the Plate Are Concerning
Most experts say the Cubs need to add pitching at the deadline, but it's been their pitching carrying them lately. Meanwhile, their offense continues to struggle, which is cause for major concern. Read More