The San Francisco Giants provided updates on two of their injured stars, Buster Posey and Pablo Sandoval.
Posey was injured when he was hit by the Florida Marlins’ Scott Cousins at home plate.
The incident left him with a broken leg and damage to his ankle ligaments.
Today Posey had surgery on his left ankle and will be out the rest of the season.
Some Details from SFGiants.com:
- Posey is expected to be ready for Spring Training
- A scope of his ankle joint showed no damage
- Screws were placed in his lower leg and will be surgically removed in 8-10 weeks
- The doctors did not feel they needed to do anything extra for the break.
- A retired physician from the San Francisco 49ers was brought in due to the nature of the injury.
Pablo Sandoval has been out for around a month with a broken wrist.
He will start taking batting practice while the Giants are in St. Louis. Plus, he is expected to go on a rehab assignment by the end of the week. Sandoval could potentially return during San Francisco’s next homestand, which begins June 3. (Read more on SFGiants.com)