New York Mets, David Wright Not Talking Extension
With the way the New York Mets are nowadays, you would hope they would want to lock up their superstar for the future since the team already lost their other superstar, Jose Reyes, in free agency this past season to a division competitor, the Miami Marlins. However, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, David Wright and the Mets have not had any conversations regarding a contract extension.
Heyman wrote in his column Friday that he believes the Mets should give Wright a “fat” extension due to his superior play since he started playing for the team in 2004 at the ripe age of 21. Wright disagreed with Heyman during interviews before the Mets took on the San Francisco Giants Friday.
Wright said that any talk of contract extensions would only impede his play this season and he is glad that no talks have surfaced even though last week the Mets said that they wanted to offer Wright an extension, they just want to make sure he stays healthy for the entire season first. This is a bold move by the Mets.
Further south of New York, not too far south though, the Washington Nationals gave their third baseman Ryan Zimmerman a shiny new deal during the offseason. Zimmerman signed a six-year, $100 million extension with the club and everyone is expecting Wright to get something similar or possibly even more than that if the Mets are going to give the third baseman an extension.
Statistically, Wright is better than Zimmerman with a slightly better OPS than Zimmeran (.890 to .831). Wright is also healthier than Zimmeran has been in his career so assuming with that, it would be wise to lock up Wright.
With Wright not wanting to leave New York, it is almost imperative that the Mets lock him up for the future. Wright currently has two more years left on his contract.