Inning By Inning: Captain Kirk Nieuwenhuis Leads New York Mets To Sweep Over Miami Marlins
Kirk Nieuwenhuis was the hero for the New York Mets in a rainy midday matinee that saw Nieuwenhuis drive in the game-winning run on a two out single that pushed the Mets to the 3-2 win over the Miami Marlins to complete the sweep and to put the Marlins deep into last place in the National League East Division.
Here are the game’s highlights, inning by inning.
- The Marlins went down one, two, three which was a great way to start the game for Jon Niese.
- A Ruben Tejada sac-fly put the Mets up 1-0 in the first inning. That was followed by a David Wright double he would be left stranded.
- The Marlins went down in order for the second straight inning with Omar Infante and Giancarlo Stanton both striking out.
- Ike Davis singled off the inning and Niese helped his own cause by drawing a walk but Nieuwenhuis would end the inning by grounding out.
- Gaby Sanchez finally put the Marlins on board with his first home run on the season.
- Ricky Nolasco finally settled down and sent the Mets down in order.
- Two fly outs and a ground out and the Marlins were done in the top half of the inning.
- Josh Thole singled with two out but Jordany Valdespin flew out to center.
- The Marlins took the lead in this inning. Infante doubled and Stanton singled to move Infante to third. Next up, Sanchez grounded into a double play but it scored Infante and brought the game to 2-1.
- Nolasco would send the Mets down in order once again in the bottom half of the inning
- Marlins did not gather a hit in this inning.
- Neither did the Mets, who did not hit the ball out of the infield.
- Austin Kearns would double this inning but nothing would come of it.
- Mets would not do anything either. Nolasco struck out Davis in the inning.
- Ramon Ramirez would replace Niese and after a Brett Hayes bunt single, Ramirez settled down to get the next batters.
- Nolasco was replaced by Randy Choate in the inning ending his day. Choate struck out Nieuwenhuis and Daniel Murphy.
- The Marlins went down in order.
- Heath Bell would try to close the game out for the Fish. Bell would walk Wright, Davis and Thole with Lucas Duda grounding out in between the walks. Bell would issue another walk to Justin Turner, who pinched hit for Ramirez.
- After a Scott Hairston force out, Nieuwenhuis would deliver a single to plate Thole ending the game.
Marlins Player of the Game: Ricky Nolasco (7 IP, 5 H, ER, 5 K)
Mets Player of the Game: Kirk Nieuwenhuis (3-for-5, 3B, GW RBI)