Josh Hamilton Does the Incredible, Hits 4 Home Runs
There is no denying that Josh Hamilton is one of the most talented baseball players in Major League Baseball today. Tuesday night, he put his full skillset on display in front of about 11,000 fans in Baltimore. Josh Hamilton hit four home runs against the Orioles in another dominating win for the Texas Rangers. He also added a double to go 5-for-5 for the night.
Hamilton set several Rangers team records, not to mention American League records with his performance tonight.
- His 18 total bases is the most in one game in AL history. The MLB record is 19, achieved by Shawn Green.
- Hamilton tied a MLB record for extra-base hits in a game with 5.
- Including a two-run home run in the 9th inning of Monday night’s game, Hamilton has 6 extra base hits in his last 6 at-bats, with 5 of those being home runs, and all 5 home runs were 2-run home runs that scored Elvis Andrus.
- In major league history, there have only been 14 four-homer performances since 1918. To put that in perspective, there have been 20 perfect games thrown.
- As a team, the Orioles had 18 total bases on the night, the same as Hamilton by himself.
None of Hamilton’s home runs were cheap shots either. Three were driven to straightaway center field, and the fourth one he hit to the opposite field in left center.
This was truly one of the greatest individual performances in MLB history, and just solidifies that along with Matt Kemp, Hamilton is one of the most deadly forces in the game.
Hamilton is a free agent at the end of this year, and he is putting on the kind of performance that one would expect in a contract year. He now leads all of the major leagues in home runs with 14 on the season, after just 26 games played. His batting average is up to .406, with an .840 slugging percentage. Beyond that, he has played stellar defense in center field for the Rangers.
On this night, forgotten were all of the offseason distractions of an alcohol relapse and contract demands. Hamilton is a true five-tool talent that is not seen too often in the game, and Rangers fans are certainly savoring getting to watch every single minute.
Padres Rumors: Hamels Could Help Challenge Dodgers
The Padres may not be done making moves yet this offseason. They have Cole Hamels on their radar and if they acquire him, they will seriously challenge the Dodgers and Giants. Read More