Are San Francisco Giants Fans Best In National League?
The San Francisco Giants must have the best fans in the National League. How else can you explain the fact that Pablo Sandoval will be the starting third baseman for the NL at the All-Star Game?
Sandoval has played well, the only problem is he’s missed 35 of the team’s 80 games this season. Kung Fu Panda is hitting .307 with an .848 OPS, but his six home runs, 25 RBI and 26 runs pale in comparison to other top NL third basemen like David Wright (.355, 9 home runs, 50 RBI), who deserved to start.
Too bad New York Mets fans didn’t flood the ballot box.
Like it or not, the All-Star starters are voted in by the fans. It’s safe to say this year’s polling was won by the Giants fans. Along with Sandoval, Buster Posey and Melky Cabrera will be in the starting lineup for the NL.
At least Posey and Cabrera were deserving All-Stars, but even they don’t deserve recognition as the league’s best at their respective positions.
Posey is hitting .296 with 10 home runs and 40 RBI, but he’s trumped by both Carlos Ruiz (.358, 11, 43) of the Philadelphia Phillies and Yadier Molina (.311, 12, 44) of the St. Louis Cardinals. The Melk Man is hitting .350, ranking third in the NL, but guys like the Colorado Rockies‘ Carlos Gonzalez, Pittsburgh Pirates‘ Andrew McCutchen, Milwaukee Brewers‘ Ryan Braun and Hunter Pence of the Phillies would have been more deserving of a start.
But that’s not the way it’s going down Thursday in Kansas City. Hats off to you, San Francisco Giants fans, and thanks for not voting in Ryan Theriot.
Here are the NL All-Star starters:
- C: Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
- 1B: Joey Votto, Cincinnati Reds
- 2B: Dan Uggla, Atlanta Braves
- 3B: Pablo Sandoval, San Francisco Giants
- SS: Rafael Furcal, St. Louis Cardinals
- OF: Melky Cabrera, San Francisco Giants
- OF: Matt Kemp, Los Angeles Dodgers (not expected to play)
- OF: Carlos Beltran, St. Louis Cardinals
- Starlin Castro, Chicago Cubs
- Bryan LaHair, Chicago Cubs
- Jay Bruce, Cincinnati Reds
- Carlos Gonzalez, Colorado Rockies
- Jose Altuve, Houston Astros
- Giancarlo Stanton, Miami Marlins
- Ryan Braun, Milwakuee Brewers
- David Wright, New York Mets
- Carlos Ruiz, Philadelphia Phillies
- Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
- Ian Desmond, Washington Nationals
- Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Craig Kimbrel, Atlanta Braves
- Arodlis Chapman, Cincinnati Reds
- Gio Gonzalez, Washington Nationals
- Stephen Strasburg, Washington Nationals
- Cole Hamels, Philadelphia Phillies
- Jonathan Papelbon, Philadelphia Phillies
- Wade Miley, Arizona Diamondbacks
- R.A. Dickey, New York Mets
- Lance Lynn, St. Louis Cardinals
- Joel Hanrahan, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Huston Street, San Diego Padres
- Matt Cain, San Francisco Giants
5 Players Marlins Must Target In 2015-16 Offseason
The Marlins are about to turn things around and here are the five players to get them over the hump in 2016. Read More