MLB Rumors: Did David Ortiz Quit On The Boston Red Sox?

Bob DeChiara-US PRESSWIRE

The Boston Red Sox and designated hitter David Ortiz are in the midst of serious contract extension talks that will probably keep Ortiz in a Red Sox uniform for the rest of his career. Although batting over .300 with 23 home runs, Ortiz only played one game after suffering an Achilles strain July 16. Ortiz is looking at a two-year, $25 million extension.

Before the front office gives him anything, they should listen to an interview between NBC’s Bob Costas and former Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine. Valentine had some harsh things to say about Ortiz and his mind during the season and during the downhill slide. Valentine told Costas:

“He realized that this trade meant that we’re not going to run this race and we’re not even going to finish the race properly and he decided not to play anymore. I think at that time it was all downhill from there.”

Ortiz is going to to turn 37 years old next month and has been the face of the organization ever since he started piling on home runs in 2004 when he joined the Red Sox. Ortiz helped carry the Red Sox to a World Series but with what Valentine said comes into question on whether or not Ortiz is mentally there in Boston. If what Valentine said is true, Ortiz does not deserve that $25 million he will be getting over the next two years.

It just makes Ortiz part of the problem and part of the poor culture that was in Boston last year, which was led by Valentine.

This is something to keep in your head as you hear about Ortiz and this contract extension.

Follow Ryan Gaydos on Twitter.

Get more MLB Rumors on Rant Sports here.

Around the Web