According to several sources with knowledge of the situation the New York Yankees and future Hall-of-Fame closer Mariano Rivera have reached an agreement to bring the veteran hurler back to the Bronx for the 2013 season.
The sources have said that the deal is for one-year and worth $10 million along with certain incentives.
The Yankees are getting all of their veteran pitching ducks in a row so to speak as the team re-signed veteran starter Hiroki Kuroda last week to a one-year, $15 million deal and earlier this week also agree to a contract with veteran lefty Andy Pettitte on a one-year, $12 million deal.
There had been speculation that Rivera would not return for an 18th season next year however in the end the Yankees will have the anchor of their bullpen back in pinstripes for the 2013 campaign. In 2012 Rivera missed most of the season after tearing ligaments in his right knee early in May during pregame workouts. Rivera will however be taking a bit of a pay cut to play this season as he earned $15 million in the final year of a two-year, $30 million contract which he signed prior to the 2011 season which he said would be his last professional contract.
In his limited action last season Rivera still managed to save five games and winning one in nine total appearances. Rivera who turned 43 years old on Thursday is the MLB all-time saves leader with 608 in his career, the all-time postseason saves leader with 42 and is considered the greatest closing pitcher in baseball history.