New York Yankees Have Had More Extension Talks With Robinson Cano
For all the talk of the New York Yankees staying away from long-term, big money deals to keep their 2014 payroll under the $189 million threshold, that hasn’t stopped them from trying to lock up their four-time All-Star, second baseman Robinson Cano. Reports have surfaced today that the club has had more talks with Cano and his agent, Scott Boras, in attempts to lock up the 30-year-old before he hits free agency after the 2013 season. This upcoming season, Cano will be paid $15 million.
Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner told reporters today he has spoken with Boras and that talks were “very broad.” This comes as the team had initial contact with Boras about extending Cano’s contract earlier this month. “The main purpose of the conversation was just to let him know we want Robbie to continue to be a Yankee and we appreciate all his contributions,” said Steinbrenner.
According to sources, Cano will be looking to bank a contract like the ones Joey Votto and Albert Pujols received from the Cincinnati Reds and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim respectively. Each player received a 10-year deal, with Votto’s deal worth $225 million and Pujols’ deal worth $240 million. Cano has hit over .300 in six of his eight major league seasons (including the last four) and has hit no less than 25 homeruns in each of the past four years. He’s also won two gold glove awards and four silver slugger awards.
While it seems the $189 million threshold is of no concern for the Yankees in terms of keeping Cano, they are wary of giving out long-term deals because of what’s happened with third baseman Alex Rodriguez. After giving him a new 10-year deal worth $275 million after Rodriguez opted out of his contract at the conclusion of the 2007 season, Rodriguez has failed to appear in more than 138 games in the subsequent seasons. Now, at age 37, he is again rehabbing from another hip surgery and the team is unsure if he will even play in this 2013 season.
Sox Fan Won't Give 660th HR Ball Back To Rodriguez
Boston Red Sox fan Mike Shuster refuses to give Alex Rodriguez the 660th home run ball he hit Friday night. Read More