X

Have feedback / suggestions? Let us know!

MLB Houston Astros

Houston Astros’ Shut Down Jarred Cosart After Another Solid Outing

Kyle Terada – USA TODAY Sports

The Houston Astros announced that Jarred Cosart would be shut down for the remaining three weeks of the season, following his start Monday night against the Oakland Athletics. It was kind of a sudden move, as no one had hinted that Cosart was on an innings limit.

The Houston area native had been nothing short of brilliant since his call up. In 10 starts, Cosart threw 60 innings with an ERA of 1.95. He had assumed the ace role of a gutted Astros rotation.

And now, the question becomes who, if anyone, will step into the vacated spot. Do the Astros stick with a five-man rotation, or insert another starter to make it a six man?

I’m usually staunchly against the limitations of innings on a rookie. At 23 years old, he needs to learn now what a full season is like. He had shown no signs of possible injury and was one of, if not the, most exciting player to watch.

That being said, Cosart’s comments swayed me into believing that this was probably the best decision.

“Honestly, I don’t have much left. My body is tired,” he told reporters Monday night, amongst other things. Cosart had missed about two weeks last year with blisters.

All of the Astros’ young pitchers are approaching career highs in innings pitched, except Brett Oberholtzer, thankfully. Oberholtzer will, in all likelihood, stay in the rotation until the end of the year. Someone does have to keep taking the rubber every night.

Bo Porter mentioned that all of the young guys’ innings were being monitored. This makes it interesting to see who will be making starts down the road.

Follow Josh Sippie on Twitter, like him on Facebook, or add him to your network on Google.