Close Article Return to stream X
MMA

Strikeforce Forced to Cancel Events

Strikeforce

Jayne-Kamin-Oncea- US Presswire

Strikeforce is on a hot streak. Not all streaks are hot for a good reason, though.

Strikeforce is not exactly on any winning streak; they have been on a cancellation streak. Last Friday, on October 12th, Strike force announced they will be cancelling their event for November 3rd: Comier vs. Mir. Two of the events headlining fighters dropped out due injuries, heavyweight Frank Mir and middleweight Luke Rockhold. Matt Mitrione and Pat Barry are being considered for possible replacements, but nothing is set in stone.

Stikeforce CEO Scott Coker had this to say: “Due to a series of injuries we were forced to cancel the upcoming card on November 3rd. While we are disappointed with this cancellation, we are looking forward to put together a stacked card in January.”

This is the second consecutive event Strikeforce has been forced to cancel. The last event Strikeforce cancelled was on September 29th, Melendez vs. Healy. That being said, Strikforce hasn’t produced a major fight card since August.  I’ll admit a company that doesn’t deliver the product on time is not good for anyone. Certainly, the diehard fans are frustrated, especially those who purchased tickets and took the time and money for travel arrangements etc.

This wouldn’t be that big of a foul up if it wasn’t a repeated foul up. Mistakes happen and when they have the potential to cost millions of dollars, you would think you would try and learn.  I hope for Strikeforce’s sake they can really deliver and bring an incredible fight card together by January.

Do these cancellations pose a threat to the popularity of the league? I think so, but it’s not enough for Zuffa to consider cutting it. While certainly not as popular as Zuffa’s bread winner, the UFC, Strikerforce has enough valuable assets to keep it going.  Like a successful ecosystem, Strikeforce has a few niches that will keep the hungry fans coming back for more.

Your Favorites
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Dana White Doesn’t Think Conor McGregor Can Beat Rafael dos Anjos

Things are getting interesting ahead of UFC 196. The headlining fight at that March 5 pay-per-view event will see UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor move up to lightweight to face the champion of that division Rafael dos Anjos. If McGregor succeeds he will become the first UFC fighter to hold belts in two different divisions simultaneously. The oddsmakers have McGregor as the favorite ahead of the fight. UFC president Dana White doesn’t necessarily hold the same opinion.

Comment 0 Comments
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Ronda Rousey’s Mom Predicted Holly Holm Would Knock Her Out

Dr. AnnMaria De Mars is the first woman ever to win a gold medal at the World Judo Championship doing so in 1984. She is also the mother of former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. Further she may be the most vocal critic of Rousey’s coach Edmond Tarverdyan. Appearing on Submission Radio De Mars once again spoke out on Tarverdyan commenting on Rousey’s loss to Holly Holm at UFC 193. “I predicted it in advance Ronda trained with an idiot and a fraud” said De Mars.

Comment 0 Comments
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Ronda Rousey’s Coach Breaks Silence on KO Loss to Holly Holm

We haven’t heard much from Ronda Rousey or her camp about the loss Rousey suffered to Holly Holm in November. Sure Rousey recently hosted Saturday Night Live and briefly addressed her UFC 193 knockout loss in her monologue but as far as detailed comments on the fight there has been mostly silence. That changed earlier this week when Rousey’s trainer Edmond Tarverdyan spoke to ESPN. Tarverdyan took a lot of heat in the days following the fight. Most of that heat was generated when his fighter bloodied and breathing from her mouth sat down on her stool at the end of Round 1.

Comment 0 Comments
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Dana White Responds to Jose Aldo’s Demand for Conor McGregor Rematch

On Thursday UFC president Dana White appearing on the “Opie and Jim Norton” radio show said “It’s one of those things; we made the fight the first time and he got hurt and had to pull out. Then we made it again and it ended in 13 seconds. It’s tough to make that fight again right away. Plus Conor wants to be a two-belt champion so he wants to fight dos Anjos.” While White didn’t totally rule out an Aldo versus McGregor rematch his comments make the fight seem unlikely. McGregor’s next fight will take place on March 5 when he moves up to lightweight to try and capture Rafael dos Anjos’ title.

Comment 0 Comments