Close Article Return to stream X
MMA

Randy Couture is Making Terrible Business Decisions

+Read full article

Kelvin Kuo-USA TODAY Sports

Randy Couture has officially burned a bridge with the UFC.

Last week, media sources reported that Couture signed an exclusive deal with Bellator and Spike TV.  Shortly afterward, UFC President Dana White responded to the media and spoke candidly about Couture’s standing with his promotion.

While addressing Couture’s situation to group of MMA reporters, White stated bluntly, “Randy Couture can’t buy a ticket to this m—– f—— event.”

This is the latest blow to the reputation of the five-time UFC champion and UFC Hall of Famer.

Couture definitely gambled his future in the MMA industry by accepting a deal with UFC rivals Bellator and Spike TV.  What made this more of a risk, however, was Couture’s amateurish way of notifying the UFC about it.

According to White, Couture had his lawyers send the UFC a letter stating he was backing out of his obligations with the UFC on Fox.  White added that Couture refused to take his calls, only to send him a misleading text message promising he had no intention of signing with Bellator.  That infuriated White.

White told reporters, “We are not unreasonable people.  If Randy Couture was a man he’d have walked into our office and said, ‘here’s the deal, I’ve got one more fight with you guys for the Fox thing.  I’d like to do it, but I’ve got another offer on the table and it’s with Spike and Bellator.'”  According to White, Couture has avoided directly speaking to UFC officials about his decision.

This latest blunder comes on the heels of a very rocky 2012 for Couture.  Throughout the year, almost a dozen fighters cut ties with Couture and his training facility, Xtreme Couture.  These fighters included the gym’s  top lightweights, including Gray Maynard, Michael Chandler and Tyson Griffin.  While none of the fighters publicly criticized Couture, it is obvious their departure was no coincidence.

White stated, “I am happy to not be in business with [Couture] anymore.”  It appears that a good portion of former Xtreme Couture fighters agree.

Your Favorites
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Dana White Doesn’t Think Conor McGregor Can Beat Rafael dos Anjos

Things are getting interesting ahead of UFC 196. The headlining fight at that March 5 pay-per-view event will see UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor move up to lightweight to face the champion of that division Rafael dos Anjos. If McGregor succeeds he will become the first UFC fighter to hold belts in two different divisions simultaneously. The oddsmakers have McGregor as the favorite ahead of the fight. UFC president Dana White doesn’t necessarily hold the same opinion.

Comment 0 Comments
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Ronda Rousey’s Mom Predicted Holly Holm Would Knock Her Out

Dr. AnnMaria De Mars is the first woman ever to win a gold medal at the World Judo Championship doing so in 1984. She is also the mother of former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. Further she may be the most vocal critic of Rousey’s coach Edmond Tarverdyan. Appearing on Submission Radio De Mars once again spoke out on Tarverdyan commenting on Rousey’s loss to Holly Holm at UFC 193. “I predicted it in advance Ronda trained with an idiot and a fraud” said De Mars.

Comment 0 Comments
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Ronda Rousey’s Coach Breaks Silence on KO Loss to Holly Holm

We haven’t heard much from Ronda Rousey or her camp about the loss Rousey suffered to Holly Holm in November. Sure Rousey recently hosted Saturday Night Live and briefly addressed her UFC 193 knockout loss in her monologue but as far as detailed comments on the fight there has been mostly silence. That changed earlier this week when Rousey’s trainer Edmond Tarverdyan spoke to ESPN. Tarverdyan took a lot of heat in the days following the fight. Most of that heat was generated when his fighter bloodied and breathing from her mouth sat down on her stool at the end of Round 1.

Comment 0 Comments
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Dana White Responds to Jose Aldo’s Demand for Conor McGregor Rematch

On Thursday UFC president Dana White appearing on the “Opie and Jim Norton” radio show said “It’s one of those things; we made the fight the first time and he got hurt and had to pull out. Then we made it again and it ended in 13 seconds. It’s tough to make that fight again right away. Plus Conor wants to be a two-belt champion so he wants to fight dos Anjos.” While White didn’t totally rule out an Aldo versus McGregor rematch his comments make the fight seem unlikely. McGregor’s next fight will take place on March 5 when he moves up to lightweight to try and capture Rafael dos Anjos’ title.

Comment 0 Comments