Close Article Return to stream X
MMA

TUF 17 Results: Submission Victory Saved Cole Miller’s UFC Career

+Read full article
CM

Gary A. Vasquez – USA TODAY Sports

Cole Miller knew his career was on the line going into his fight against Bart Palaszewski on Saturday’s Ultimate Fighter Finale.

With his back up against the wall, Miller wasted no time putting the pressure on Palaszewski, using his size and reach to outstrike the smaller fighter early in the first round. When the fight eventually went to the ground, Miller quickly put an end to things by submitting Palaszewski with a rear-naked choke.

Saturday’s impressive victory allows Miller an opportunity to breath a sigh of relief now that he is no longer on the UFC‘s chopping block.

In a post-fight interview with a group of reporters, Miller discussed the pressure he was under going into the fight.

“Everybody here knows I was on the chopping block, so coming in here off two losses in a row, I wasn’t expecting a third opportunity,” Miller said. “To come in here with this kind of pressure, you know, it weighed heavy.”

The victory was Miller’s fourteenth career MMA win by way of submission. In beating a tough fighter like Palaszewski, Miller showed he can still be a force in the featherweight division.

Miller, who has had a history of injuries, was pleased with his health coming into Saturday’s fight and is looking to fight more often.

“I’m going to make [2013] an active year,” Miller said. “I would like to maintain a more active fighting career.”

At only 28 years of age, Miller is just starting to hit his prime. As one of the most dangerous submission fighters in the division, a healthy Miller has a good chance of jumping into the ranks of UFC featherweight contenders by year’s end.

Your Favorites
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Dana White Doesn’t Think Conor McGregor Can Beat Rafael dos Anjos

Things are getting interesting ahead of UFC 196. The headlining fight at that March 5 pay-per-view event will see UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor move up to lightweight to face the champion of that division Rafael dos Anjos. If McGregor succeeds he will become the first UFC fighter to hold belts in two different divisions simultaneously. The oddsmakers have McGregor as the favorite ahead of the fight. UFC president Dana White doesn’t necessarily hold the same opinion.

Comment 0 Comments
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Ronda Rousey’s Mom Predicted Holly Holm Would Knock Her Out

Dr. AnnMaria De Mars is the first woman ever to win a gold medal at the World Judo Championship doing so in 1984. She is also the mother of former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. Further she may be the most vocal critic of Rousey’s coach Edmond Tarverdyan. Appearing on Submission Radio De Mars once again spoke out on Tarverdyan commenting on Rousey’s loss to Holly Holm at UFC 193. “I predicted it in advance Ronda trained with an idiot and a fraud” said De Mars.

Comment 0 Comments
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Ronda Rousey’s Coach Breaks Silence on KO Loss to Holly Holm

We haven’t heard much from Ronda Rousey or her camp about the loss Rousey suffered to Holly Holm in November. Sure Rousey recently hosted Saturday Night Live and briefly addressed her UFC 193 knockout loss in her monologue but as far as detailed comments on the fight there has been mostly silence. That changed earlier this week when Rousey’s trainer Edmond Tarverdyan spoke to ESPN. Tarverdyan took a lot of heat in the days following the fight. Most of that heat was generated when his fighter bloodied and breathing from her mouth sat down on her stool at the end of Round 1.

Comment 0 Comments
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Dana White Responds to Jose Aldo’s Demand for Conor McGregor Rematch

On Thursday UFC president Dana White appearing on the “Opie and Jim Norton” radio show said “It’s one of those things; we made the fight the first time and he got hurt and had to pull out. Then we made it again and it ended in 13 seconds. It’s tough to make that fight again right away. Plus Conor wants to be a two-belt champion so he wants to fight dos Anjos.” While White didn’t totally rule out an Aldo versus McGregor rematch his comments make the fight seem unlikely. McGregor’s next fight will take place on March 5 when he moves up to lightweight to try and capture Rafael dos Anjos’ title.

Comment 0 Comments