Close Article Return to stream X
MMA

Chris Weidman’s Coach Ray Longo Blasts Vitor Belfort

+Read full article
Chris Weidman

Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

Chris Weidman is scheduled to defend his UFC Middleweight crown for the second time against Brazilian striker Vitor “The Phenom” Belfort with the bout likely to take place in Las Vegas in early summer. Weidman retained his belt after opponent Anderson Silva suffered a gruesome leg break in their rematch last month. Belfort is next in line after a slew of head kick knockouts solidified his position as No. 1 contender.

Despite winning five of his last six bouts, Belfort has been roundly criticized for his use of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT). The legal treatment is used to raise the amount of testosterone in men to ensure their count meets “normal” levels. However, the issue with Belfort is the fact he has been caught with elevated levels of testosterone in the past, stemming from illegal steroid usage. The use of banned substances is said to affect the natural production of testosterone in later life, and since this appears to be the case with Belfort, his opponent’s coach condemns the legality of Belfort’s TRT exemption.

“I know Chris is beating the guy but why give him an advantage? Why does he deserve that? All he did was abuse his body with steroids so that now he needs the exemption. It’s bulls—.” Ray Longo told website, Bloody Elbow.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) seems to have a similar viewpoint. Executive Director Keith Kizer has stated Belfort will struggle to gain a TRT exemption in Nevada due to his prior steroid usage and he will have to undergo additional testing in the months prior to the fight.

TRT exemption or not, Belfort deserves another shot at the Middleweight belt and he will be hoping for a better outcome than his last attempt when Silva finished him with a highlight reel front kick in the opening round of their 2011 bout.

 

David Lewis is a content writer for Rantsports.com. Follow him on Twitter @David_C_Lewis91, “Like” him on Facebook or add him to your network on Google.

Your Favorites
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Dana White Doesn’t Think Conor McGregor Can Beat Rafael dos Anjos

Things are getting interesting ahead of UFC 196. The headlining fight at that March 5 pay-per-view event will see UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor move up to lightweight to face the champion of that division Rafael dos Anjos. If McGregor succeeds he will become the first UFC fighter to hold belts in two different divisions simultaneously. The oddsmakers have McGregor as the favorite ahead of the fight. UFC president Dana White doesn’t necessarily hold the same opinion.

Comment 0 Comments
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Ronda Rousey’s Mom Predicted Holly Holm Would Knock Her Out

Dr. AnnMaria De Mars is the first woman ever to win a gold medal at the World Judo Championship doing so in 1984. She is also the mother of former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. Further she may be the most vocal critic of Rousey’s coach Edmond Tarverdyan. Appearing on Submission Radio De Mars once again spoke out on Tarverdyan commenting on Rousey’s loss to Holly Holm at UFC 193. “I predicted it in advance Ronda trained with an idiot and a fraud” said De Mars.

Comment 0 Comments
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Ronda Rousey’s Coach Breaks Silence on KO Loss to Holly Holm

We haven’t heard much from Ronda Rousey or her camp about the loss Rousey suffered to Holly Holm in November. Sure Rousey recently hosted Saturday Night Live and briefly addressed her UFC 193 knockout loss in her monologue but as far as detailed comments on the fight there has been mostly silence. That changed earlier this week when Rousey’s trainer Edmond Tarverdyan spoke to ESPN. Tarverdyan took a lot of heat in the days following the fight. Most of that heat was generated when his fighter bloodied and breathing from her mouth sat down on her stool at the end of Round 1.

Comment 0 Comments
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
MMA Videos

Dana White Responds to Jose Aldo’s Demand for Conor McGregor Rematch

On Thursday UFC president Dana White appearing on the “Opie and Jim Norton” radio show said “It’s one of those things; we made the fight the first time and he got hurt and had to pull out. Then we made it again and it ended in 13 seconds. It’s tough to make that fight again right away. Plus Conor wants to be a two-belt champion so he wants to fight dos Anjos.” While White didn’t totally rule out an Aldo versus McGregor rematch his comments make the fight seem unlikely. McGregor’s next fight will take place on March 5 when he moves up to lightweight to try and capture Rafael dos Anjos’ title.

Comment 0 Comments