In the co-main event for UFC 171, which took place in Dallas, Texas, Carlos Condit and Tyron Woodley threw down. They were hoping to score an impressive finish in order to get a title shot, but it was Woodley who bested Condit. Woodley was landing huge bombs on Condit, and also took him down rather easily. Then, in the second, Woodley threw a huge leg kick that buckled Condit’s right knee, forcing him out of the bout. This puts Woodley in line for a title shot, which he rightfully deserves after that win. Woodley defeated Condit in impressive fashion, who is one of the best strikers in the UFC. Woodley proved he could hang with Condit on the feet. And by mixing up his striking with his takedowns, he had Condit guessing up until the finish. People will probably consider this win for Woodley a fluke, but they shouldn’t. This is one of the few times that Condit was outclassed in every area of the fight, proving Woodley is a legitimate threat to anyone in the division. His training with American Top Team seems to be paying off in dividends. Before this fight, he was ranked 11th in the division, but the win over Condit, who was ranked second in the division, will surely have him crack the top five. So, does this win prove that Woodley is legit, and does he deserve a title shot against the winner of Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below. Jeremy Green is a MMA and NFL contributor at RantSports. You can follow him on Facebook, Twitter, or Google Plus.
Leading up to his rematch with Daniel Cormier at UFC 197, Jon Jones was caught driving without a license and registration.
Stephen Thompson became the first to finish Johny Hendricks and should now be seen as a contender for the title.
Both at a crossroads in the UFC's 155-pound division, Nate Diaz vs. Dustin Poirier would make for an epic encounter.
In his long awaited return, former UFC champion Anderson Silva is embracing the role as villain in Michael Bisping's backyard.
After steamrolling through the featherweight division, Frankie Edgar has earned the right to challenge Conor McGregor in his next fight.
Things are getting interesting ahead of UFC 196. The headlining fight at that March 5 pay-per-view event will see UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor move up to lightweight to face the champion of that division Rafael dos Anjos. If McGregor succeeds he will become the first UFC fighter to hold belts in two different divisions simultaneously. The oddsmakers have McGregor as the favorite ahead of the fight. UFC president Dana White doesn’t necessarily hold the same opinion.
Dr. AnnMaria De Mars is the first woman ever to win a gold medal at the World Judo Championship doing so in 1984. She is also the mother of former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. Further she may be the most vocal critic of Rousey’s coach Edmond Tarverdyan. Appearing on Submission Radio De Mars once again spoke out on Tarverdyan commenting on Rousey’s loss to Holly Holm at UFC 193. “I predicted it in advance Ronda trained with an idiot and a fraud” said De Mars.
Moving to Bellator, Benson Henderson made the most lucrative decision and other fighters are sure to follow.
We haven’t heard much from Ronda Rousey or her camp about the loss Rousey suffered to Holly Holm in November. Sure Rousey recently hosted Saturday Night Live and briefly addressed her UFC 193 knockout loss in her monologue but as far as detailed comments on the fight there has been mostly silence. That changed earlier this week when Rousey’s trainer Edmond Tarverdyan spoke to ESPN. Tarverdyan took a lot of heat in the days following the fight. Most of that heat was generated when his fighter bloodied and breathing from her mouth sat down on her stool at the end of Round 1.
On Thursday UFC president Dana White appearing on the “Opie and Jim Norton” radio show said “It’s one of those things; we made the fight the first time and he got hurt and had to pull out. Then we made it again and it ended in 13 seconds. It’s tough to make that fight again right away. Plus Conor wants to be a two-belt champion so he wants to fight dos Anjos.” While White didn’t totally rule out an Aldo versus McGregor rematch his comments make the fight seem unlikely. McGregor’s next fight will take place on March 5 when he moves up to lightweight to try and capture Rafael dos Anjos’ title.