Here is my first 2012 NFL Draft Board that I will post at this moment. This lists my top 5 overall players going into the college football season.
1. Andrew Luck Quarterback Stanford Junior Redshirt Luck is the clear cut #1 prospect on everyone’s draft board at this point in mid August. Luck already stated that he will likely go pro in 2012.
2. Matt Barkley Quarterback USC Junior Besides Luck I think Matt Barkley has the best chance to go #1 overall. Barkley plays in a pro style offense just like Luck. Landry Jones may post better numbers than Matt Barkley, but Barkley plays in the pro style offense which is why he gets the edge here at #2.
3. Quinton Coples Right End North Carolina Senior Coples can pass rush like a 4-3 defensive end. He has the size of 4-3 defensive end and he stuffs the run like a 4-3 defensive tackle. Coples is not just a sack artist he is a complete defensive lineman who can sack the quarterback, pass rush, win battles in the trenches, shed blocks, stuff the run, or swat passes down. Coples proved he was a leader last season when stepping into the 4-3 right end role after Robert Quinn got suspended.
4. Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina Junior There is a difference between SEC receivers AJ Green and Alshon Jeffery AJ Green had Andre Johnson’s size and Calvin Johnson’s talent. Jeffery has Calvin’s size and Andre’s talent/skill set.
5. Dre Kirkpatrick Cornerback Alabama Junior Deciding the #5 player on my draft board was not an easy task. In fact crowning the 5th player on my board was tough with Kirkpatrick, Kalil a top 5 pick on most draft boards, Martin who I like a lot better compared to Kalil, Landry Jones, and Trent Richardson were all in the mix for this spot. I decided to go with Kirkpatrick even though I realize there will be some players who move up and down my draft board as the season progresses.