Earth Day is this Sunday and NASCAR is doing their part this weekend at Kansas to inform fans on how to go green.
In a press release on NASCAR’s official webpage, details were released on how the sport plans to make awareness on eco friendly programs. All weekend long NASCAR has several activities programed around the track.
Along with environment friendly awareness, the track will feature the logo of NASCAR’s new program, NASCAR green. The new program is NASCAR’s new Go Green program.
Just prior to the Kansas race, last week at Texas NASCAR reached the two-million mile mark on using Sunoco’s Green E15 fuel.
Along with the statement NASCAR released the list of the following activities for the weekend.
- “NASCAR’s premier series entitlement sponsor, Sprint, will implement “Recycle for Victory” — a wireless recycling program that benefits charity.
- The backstretch of the track will be painted green thanks to NASCAR official partner American Ethanol.
- NASCAR official partners Coca-Cola and Coors Light will educate fans on the benefits of recycling and encouraging them to drop plastic bottles and aluminum cans in designated bins.
- A new 30-second television spot about the NASCAR Green platform will air during Sunday’s NASCAR on FOX national broadcast at 1 p.m.
- The NASCAR Green logo will appear in the infield grass for the first time at a Cup Series event.
- The pace car for the STP 400 is a Toyota Camry Hybrid and will carry the NASCAR Green logo on its trunk lid.
- NASCAR and Kansas Speedway will donate 10 trees to the Gov. Jay Nixon’s Governor’s Joplin Challenge for every green flag that is dropped over the weekend.
- Miss Sprint Cup will wear a green fire suit throughout the weekend in support of the environment.
- Every race vehicle on the track this weekend will run on Sunoco Green E15, further validating the environmentally responsible high-performance racing fuel.”
Follow Christy Valdez on Twitter @Knowursports