Charlotte Bobcats Announce Paul Silas Will Not Return As Head Coach

Charlotte Bobcats President of Basketball Operations Rod Higgins has announced Monday via press release that head coach Paul Silas will not return to the team next season. This announcement is coming after the Silas-led Bobcats recorded one of the worst records and the worst losing percentage in NBA history (7-59, .106).

Higgins said in the statement:

“I would like to personally thank Paul for everything he has done for this team under some pretty unique circumstances,” Higgins said. “His basketball experience as a coach and a player speak for themselves. We have been fortunate to have someone of his character associated with this franchise and we hope he will continue to be a valuable resource to us in the future.”

Silas’ team was not that bad when he took over as head coach for the Bobcats in 2010. The team posted a record of 25-29 during his half of a season last year but this season was a completely different story. The Bobcats did not have a player on the team that was going to save them despite drafting the 2011 Most Outstanding Player in the NCAA Tournament in point guard Kemba Walker of Connecticut.

Next season is hoped to be better since it will be a full 82-game season. The Bobcats are hoping draft University of Kentucky superstar Anthony Davis if the odds of the draft are in their favor. The team needs a lot of work beyond the draft.

Who will Michael Jordan replace Silas with? Stay tuned this offseason for the answer.

Follow Ryan Gaydos on Twitter @RyanGaydos or like him on Facebook.

Around the Web