Assembling an All-Time Minnesota Timberwolves Starting 5
The Minnesota Timberwolves do not give off the vibe of an organization that has been quite flush with talent and success over the course of its history, but it’s hard to call it a bad franchise in the grand scheme of things. Sure, the David Kahn era was a laughable disaster, but the stretch from the mid-1990s through the mid-aughts makes up somewhat for the other mediocre years from 1989 to present.
Despite the recent respective histories, I would not throw this franchise into the Los Angeles Clippers‘ tier.
However, missing the postseason nine consecutive series and counting is really starting to push them in that direction. The man who could change that is also the coach of my T-Wolves’ all-time starting five:
- Coach — Flip Saunders: Presided over all eight of the playoff runs Minnesota went on and only missed the postseason once — compared to the 0-for-16 mark of everyone else.
- PG — Terrell Brandon: Gets the slight nod over Starbury for his steadier play near the turn of the century, not to mention his contributions on defense for Wolves playoff teams.
- SG — Isaiah Rider: Off-the-court woes and short span of accomplishment with the T-Wolves aside, the top-five draft pick in 1993 contributed a ton in the short run, including scoring over 20 per game in 1994-1995.
- F — Wally Szczerbiak: Yup, the three and the four spots get a little underwhelming, but I think Szczerbiak’s outside shooting will be valued with this lineup.
- F — Kevin Love: Love is engendering some bad feelings among Minnesota fans over rumors about his will to stay with the team, but his career 17-12 per-game average make him an easy pick, and since it’s my imaginary pick-up game, I’ll roll with two nominal power forwards including….
- F — Kevin Garnett: The greatest player in T-Wolves history, future Hall of Famer and their only league MVP.
Kemba Walker Surgery Dooms Hornets' Playoff Chance
The Charlotte Hornets' playoff chances took a huge hit with guard Kemba Walker being forced to undergo surgery. Read More