Anthony Bennett: UNLV Freshman Eligible After Being Cleared by NCAA
Incoming freshman Anthony Bennett was widely considered as one of the top prospects in the class of 2012, attracting attention from a number of the nation’s top programs.
Bennett, who finished his high school career at Findlay Prep (NV), made the decision to stay in the Vegas area, committing to UNLV and head coach Dave Rice.
On Thursday, Rice told the Las Vegas Sun that Bennett had been cleared by the NCAA and will be eligible to play this season.
“We’re excited for Anthony, but we’re also very excited for our team,” Rice said. “A lot of credit goes to (compliance director) Eric Toliver and (student-athlete academic services director) David Jackson for their hard work in the waiver process.”
The Ontario-native however, may be unable to compete in UNLV’s team trip to Canada in August, due to the NCAA’s ruling coming so late into the summer. Due to the timing of the ruling, Bennett was unable to enroll in classes by the July 10 cutoff, therefore his status for the August trip remains unclear.
Yet the good news remains obvious: Bennett will play this season, likely making the Rebels the favorite in the Mountain West. Rice has a strong mix of returnees and incoming talent that should once again have UNLV in the national mix, as well.
Bennett had trimmed his list down to a number of top schools this past spring before making his collegiate decision late in the school year. After eliminating Florida, Bennett then knocked off Kentucky, before choosing the Rebels over Oregon.
Overall, the news is relaxing and exciting for UNLV fans as big things could be on the horizon for the Rebels in 2012-13.
Be sure to follow Paul Seaver on Twitter: @TheArenaPulse
Drake Shoots Air Ball at Kentucky Midnight Madness
Rapper Drake is an airball master, as shown during his appearance at Kentucky's Midnight Madness on Friday night. Read More