NCAA Basketball

No Charges for Dezmine Wells; Prosecutor Says Expulsion Was “Fundamentally Unfair”

Last week, Xavier announced the expulsion of sophomore wing, Dezmine Wells, a big blow to Musketeer’s expectations this season.

On Tuesday morning, Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters spoke on the situation, saying no charges would be filed against Wells after the Grand Jury decided to ignore the case.

In an interview with WLW-AM radio, Deters called the school’s decision to expel Wells “fundamentally unfair” and “seriously flawed.”

“I have nothing but the greatest respect for Xavier University, and in particular Fr. Graham.  I would sincerely hope the institution would revisit this situation,” Deters told

The decision comes as good news for Wells amid an allegation that has caused him to continue to playing career elsewhere.

However, with any potential legal trouble behind him, Wells can now open the doors and focus on a new destination. On Tuesday afternoon, three rumored landing spots emerged for Wells. Time will only tell where he will end up.

Xavier has qualified for seven consecutive NCAA Tournaments, however that streak may be in jeopardy given the loss of Wells. The Musketeers still have plenty of talent on the roster, but the Atlantic 10 Conference is expected to once again be among the toughest, non-BCS leagues.

Last season as a freshman, Wells averaged 9.8 points per game. He was suspended in December for his role in the team’s brawl against Cincinnati.

A decision for Wells could be coming this week. The transfer would likely have to sit out the 2012-13 season due to NCAA rules.


Be sure to follow Paul Seaver on Twitter: @TheArenaPulse