Billy Gillispie: Released from Hospital; Future Unknown

After a long week of hospital stays, the head men’s basketball coach at Texas Tech UniversityBilly Gillispie was released from the hospital on Thursday. Multiple sources have said Gillispie was admitted to the hospital for what was said to be “high blood pressure”. The trip to the hospital came in the same week as several basketball players talking about a “revolt” against the head coach.

Gillispie was in University Medical Center out of Lubbock, according to Associate Athletic Director Blayne Beal. The University said this week that they would not discuss Gillispie’s future until he was out of the hospital and in better health.

Gillispie was hired in March of 2011 to take over for the fired Pat Knight. Gillispie started his collegiate coaching career as an assistant for Bill Self at the University of Illinois. He then was able to garner head coaching jobs at UTEP, Texas A+M, and then his much documented time at Kentucky.

Kirby Hocutt, the head Athletic Director recently said that secondary violations were reported to the NCAA during his first season at Texas Texas.  “Those sanctions have been served,” Hocutt said. “I issued a reprimand that there would be no tolerance for further disregard for rules and that’s the process we will continue to move forward with at Texas Tech.” Hocutt recently had this to say regarding the situation with Gillispie and the Red Raiders Basketball program: “We have significant issues on the table at the end of the day and we’ll be guided by our mission statement and our principles and move this through as expeditiously as we can.”

As we have seen all week long; things are not good in Red Raider nation. While Gillispie has the ability to coach basketball, his past, along with an inability to relate to all the needs of collegiate athletes could put him in some employment trouble. It will be interesting to see if Gillispie is coaching on the first day of practice in just a few weeks.

Around the Web