Gary Harris to Return to Michigan State After Montaque Gill-Caesar Won’t Reclassify?
It has been a tough couple of days for Michigan State Spartans head coach Tom Izzo and the rest of his team. Two days ago, star center Adreian Payne‘s cancer-stricken little friend, Lacey Holsworth, passed away at just 8 years of age. The team took it very hard and Izzo gave an emotional speech at the campus rock.
Couple that devastating loss with the stress of possibly losing Gary Harris to the NBA and you have one coach who might not be looking forward to a long offseason. Now Izzo has to deal with losing out on five-star recruit, Montaque Gill-Caesar for the 2014 recruiting class.
No, Gill-Caesar didn’t commit elsewhere and he’s still a favorite to pick MSU, but he announced on Friday morning that he would not be reclassifying to the 2014 class — as many thought he would be.
Now what does this mean for Michigan State?
It’s way too early to tell what his reason for staying another year in high school is. One popular speculation is that Gill-Caesar knows something that the rest of the nation has yet to find out. What is going to happen with Harris?
It seems very possible that Gill-Caesar has been in contact with Harris, who plays the same position, and Izzo over the last week, or so, talking about the possibility of Harris entering the NBA draft.
If that’s the case, it could mean that Harris is staying for his junior year.
Gill-Caesar has been praised as the best player in the 2015 class by Andrew Wiggins — although he is rated No. 18 overall by 247Sports.
While this might mean absolutely nothing, it seems very possible that Gill-Caesar wanted to wait a year until he could start right away in place of Harris. The Crystal Ball on 247Sports has 89 percent of experts predicting he will go to Michigan State while the other 11 percent have him joining the Kentucky Wildcats.
Again, this is all speculation at this point.
Connor Muldowney is a columnist for RantSports.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connormuldowney, “Like” him on Facebook or add him to your network on Google. You can also reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5 Reasons Why UCLA Will Make the 2015 NCAA Tourney
The UCLA Bruins have had many bumps in the road this season, but the team is starting to play their best basketball at the right time. Read More
Notre Dame vs. Louisville Game Preview, Prediction
A pair of ranked teams meet on Wednesday when the Notre Dame Fighting Irish visit the Louisville Cardinals in an ACC showdown. Read More