Leading up to the Iowa Spring Game on April 16, Big 10 Rant will highlight some of the new faces that will likely see some action at key positions for the Hawkeyes in the 2011 campaign. With the departure of 26 seniors this past season, it will be up to the next group of Hawkeyes to step up and be the “Next Man In.”
First up on the list is Collin Sleeper…
– Junior defensive back from Solon, Iowa
– Listed on HawkeyeSports at 6-2, 200 lbs
– Has not seen any game action in his two years as a Hawkeye
– All-State as a junior and senior at Solon High School
– Ferentz on Sleeper: “He’s kind of been lurking in the background. It’s a little bit like the Nielsen, A.J. Edds stories, other positions, where we’ve had two starters at the safety positions that have been there for a long time. He’s been laboring in anonymity. But he’s done a good job.”
– Notes: Sleeper is currently listed as the starting strong safety in the Spring two-deeps, with senior Tom Donatell behind him. With the loss of veteran safeties Tyler Sash and Brett Greenwood, Kirk Ferentz and the Hawkeyes will likely be doing a lot of experimenting in the secondary.