Coming off back-to-back 8-5 seasons, Brian Kelly received a two-year contract extension from Notre Dame on Tuesday afternoon in announcement made by the university. The decisions means that Kelly’s contract will run through the 2016 season.
Here is the following statement that was released from athletic director Jack Swarbrick.
“While Coach Kelly and I are focused on the additional work that must be done to reach our goals, I am very pleased with the progress we have made during the past two years.” University of Notre Dame vice president and director of athletics Jack Swarbrick said. “Our football team’s performance on the field, in the classroom, and in the community reflect Coach Kelly’s commitment to building a program that will be able to sustain success in the long run, and to doing so in a manner consistent with Notre Dame’s values and tradition.”
Kelly also made a comment on the news.
“I want to thank Father Jenkins and Jack Swarbrick for their unwavering support of me the last two years,” Kelly said. “My family and I are truly blessed to be at Notre Dame and we are excited about what the future holds for the Fighting Irish football team. I also want to thank Father John and Jack for the commitment they made to the football program last week by renewing the contracts of our assistant coaches. I think we have one of the finest coaching staffs in the country at Notre Dame, and the confidence our administration has shown in us is truly appreciated.”
Some might view this as premature considering Kelly only has a 16-10 record in two seasons in South Bend, but I think it is the right move. It gives him some job security, something that is needed when you are recruiting top talent across the country. It also gives Kelly some time to get his guys on campus and put in place a quarterback that will lead his spread offense.