Snap Observations on the Big 12 Football Preseason Poll
In this season of conference media days, official media from the Big 5 conferences are slowly cluing us in to their respective expected finish.
Today, it’s the Big 12, who released their preseason football poll in conjunction with the media days festivities taking place at the Westin Galleria in Dallas, Texas.
Here it is from top to bottom:
1. Oklahoma Sooners (32) 396
2. West Virginia Mountaineers (7) 339
3. Texas Longhorns 291
4. Oklahoma State Cowboys 267
5. TCU Horned Frogs (1) 260
6. Kansas State Wildcats (1) 257
7. Baylor Bears 162
8. Iowa State Cyclones 121
9. Texas Tech Red Raiders 116
10. Kansas Jayhawks 46
– Number 1 votes are in parentheses.
A few items of curiosity and some snap observations from this list– compiled from the opinions of official Big 12 media members (one of which isn’t me, I’m not official enough for the Big 12):
* First and foremost, who in the hell thinks that TCU will be the best team in the conference during its first year in the Big 12, and beyond that, will beat three teams who each potentially have the ability to land in the top 10 at season’s end under the right circumstances? Whoever it is needs another cup of, er, coffee, or something a little stronger.
* Sorry Kansas, you’re still the whipping boy. Again. It’s comforting that some things never change.
* Saturday November 17th in Morgantown, and Saturday October 13th in Dallas could, and should be, the two most important dates on the 2012 Big 12 football calendar. Both matchups between West Virginia and Oklahoma and Oklahoma and Texas will almost certainly determine how the final standings shake out. Will couches burn again in Morgantown?
* People really shouldn’t sleep on Baylor. Just because of the loss of RGIII, everyone is already writing off a team which returns a ton of athletic talent on both sides of the ball, and has recruited even more. Art Briles has the Bears believing in themselves, and I promise you, they will win a few games in conference play this fall they theoretically shouldn’t win.
Another exciting Big 12 season is right around the corner, and it’s as wide open as its ever been.
I, for one, can’t wait for September 1st.
Kris Hughes is the College Football Network Manager for Rant Sports and a member of the Football Writers Association of America.
Kris is also the host of Rant Sports Radio on the Blog Talk Radio Network Wednesday evenings at 8 Central Time.
10 Under-The-Radar Teams That Could Sneak Into CFP
These teams might not be on Ohio State's level, but they certainly have the goods to make the College Football Playoff regardless. Read More
Oregon Makes Right Choice, Names Adams Starting QB
Vernon Adams is a perfect fit for the Oregon offense. Read More