High school football is right around the corner and some of the most exciting teams and players to watch, are in the Midwest. Teams and players from Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Minnesota, and Iowa have earned the respect from college and professional programs all over the country. NFL players like Donovan McNabb, have come out of the Midwest and proved this region knows football. Since the season is right around the corner, let’s look at the 20 top ranked Midwest high school football teams from last season.
1. Carmel (Carmel, IN)
2. Saint Ignatius (Cleveland, OH)
3. Bolingbrook (Bolingbrook, IL)
4. Trotwood-Madison (Trotwood, OH)
5. Warren Central (Indianapolis, IN)
6. Eden Prairie (Eden Prairie, MN)
7. Waunakee (Waunakee, WI)
8. Valley (West Des Moines, IA)
9. Cathedral (Indianapolis, IN)
10. Mary D. Bradford (Kenosha, WI)
11. Boylan Central Catholic (Rockford, IL)
12. Loyola Academy (Wilmette, IL)
13. Wayzata (Plymouth, MN)
14. Prairie Ridge (Crystal Lake, IL)
15. Saint Mary’s Prep School (Orchard Lake, MI)
16. Montini (Lombard, IL)
17. Pickerington (Pickerington, OH)
18. Saint Xavier (Cincinnati, OH)
19. Cass Technical (Detroit, MI)
20. Whitmer (Toledo, OH)
Does Carmel, Indiana hold the best high school football team in the midwest? Is there a team in Midwest that’s not being mentioned? Rant your comments below with your own top 20!
Personally, I would have ranked Waunakee and Cathedral in the top five and removed Trotwood-Madison and Warren Central. Waunakee went 14-0 in the regular season and extended their winning streak to 36 games, while winning the Division 2 state title. I believe a team that hasn’t loss in almost two seasons deserves more respect. There were only five teams (Trotwood-Madison, Waunakee, Valley, Mary D. Bradford, and Boylan Central Catholic) in the top 20 that had perfect records and the Division 2 state champs were one of them. Also, I believe Cathedral needs to be ranked higher for their offensive and defensive efforts in their last 3 games of the season. The Class 4A championship team outscored their last three foes 142-14. In all my years of watching sports, I’ve never heard of a team that outscored their foes by that much.