Alabama sits atop my top 25
College football has arrived and with the games comes the fun of ranking the best teams in the nation. Here is how I voted for the first Rant Sports poll after the opening weekend of games.
To view the collection of the votes from the rest of the college football writers of Rant Sports, click here.
1. Alabama- Dismantled the #8 Michigan Wolverines on a neutral site and gave the defending champs a marquee win in the opening week.
2. USC- Matt Barkley, Marquise Lee, and Robert Woods dominate in a rout of Hawaii
3. LSU- Zach Mettenberger was efficient in debut as Tigers ground game ran roughshod over the North Texas defense.
4. Oregon-Offense is never a question, scored 50 in first half, but the Ducks’ defense looked shaky in opener vs. Arkansas State yielding 34 points
5. Georgia- Aaron Murray and Jarvis Jones led the favorites in the SEC East past Buffalo. Freshman Todd Gurley ran for 100 yards and two scores and added a 100 yard kickoff return for a TD.
6. Florida State- Seminoles score 69 in a rout of Murray State. More importantly, EJ Manuel looked healthy completing 16/22 passes.
7. West Virginia- QB Geno Smith accounts for 388 yards and five td’s en route to 69 points in opener vs. Marshall.
8. Oklahoma-Offense struggled for three quarters vs. UTEP before pulling out 24-7 win. Score was 10-7 heading to the 4th quarter.
9. South Carolina- Marcus Lattimore looked dominant running for 110 and two td’s in his return from an ACL injury, but QB Connor Shaw was hurt and played with one arm when he returned.
10. Arkansas- Tyler Wilson showed why he is the best qb in the SEC throwing for 367 yards and 3 TD’s and Knile Davis ran for 70 yards and a score on 18 carries.
11. Michigan State- The Spartans leaned heavily n their workhorse back, LeVeon Bell to the tune of 44 carries and 210 yards. State overcame four turnovers to defeat Boise State 17-13 on Friday.
12. Wisconsin- Danny O’Brien completed 19/23 passes and two scores to Jared Abbrederris. Heisman finalist from last year, Montee Ball ran for 120 yards and a score as the Badgers escaped with a five point win over Northern Iowa.
13. Michigan- The only team to lose this weekend, but that was to the defending champions and the #2 team in the country. Denard Robinson was stifled by the Crimson Tide defense rushing for just 27 yards on 10 carries.
14. Nebraska- Taylor Martinez has his best game of his career throwing for 354 and five TD’s in the Huskers win over Southern Miss, but lose Rex Burkhead to a sprained MCL, who rushed for a 57-yard TD in the first before departing.
15. Ohio State- Braxton Miller looks comfortable in Urban Meyer’s spread attack. The sophomore passed for 207 yards and two scores while running for 161 including a dazzling 65-yard TD.
16. Oklahoma State- No Brandon Weeden or Justin Blackmon and the Cowboys still put up 84 points on poor Savannah State. Offense put up 682 yards of total offense including nine rushing scores.
17. Clemson- Andre Ellington ran for 231 yards on 26 carries vs. Auburn as Clemson played without star wide receiver Sammy Watkins as he serves a two game suspension for marijuana possession.
18. Kansas State- Limped out of the gates slowly before erupting for 35 points in the 4th for a 51-9 win over Missouri State. John Hubert led rush attack with 152 yards including a 95 yard score.
19. Virginia Tech- Heisman candidate Logan Thomas takes on Georgia Tech Monday night
20. Texas-Longhorn defense held Wyoming to 1-11 on 3rd downs and Joe Bergeron and Malcolm Brown each eclipsed the century mark on the ground.
21. TCU- Idle
22. Mississippi State-The Bulldogs ran two interceptions back for scores as Tyler Russell and LaDarius Perkins paced the offense to the 56-9 win over Jackson State.
23. Stanford- First game in the post Andrew Luck era and the Cardinal struggled in a three point win over San Jose State Friday.
24. Florida-Took 3 point lead to 4th quarter vs. Bowling Green before escaping with 10 point win. Found a running back in Mike Gilleslie who ran for 148 and two scores, and may have settled on a Qb in Jeff Driskell, who took majority of snaps.
25. Tennessee-Tyler Bray looked like the part throwing for 333 yards and two TD’s in the win over NC State.
Follow me on Twitter @PatrickASchmidt
Patrick is a diehard Chicago sports and avid college football fan, and the host of “The Wake-up Call,” a weekly sports show on Sportstownchicago.com Wednesday mornings from 8-10. View his show’s website here.
Big 12 Football Needs Conference Championship Game
Until the Big 12 can reissue a conference championship game for football, they'll continue to receive snubs from the college football playoff committee. Read More