It was a busy week in Lake County, with some top-ranked teams going down to defeat. Here is this week’s Lake County Top 10 with team record and last week’s rank in parentheses:
1. Lakes (2-0, 3): A second straight Fox Valley Conference foe was taken down by the Eagles in Week 2 during a 21-7 win over Woodstock North. Direll Clark had another great night with more than 140 yards rushing.
2. Lake Zurich (1-1, 1): The Bears fell 21-6 on the road at Cary-Grove as the Cary defense didn’t allow Lake Zurich to get inside the 40 all night. Sean Lynch had the lone touchdown on a kickoff return.
3. Lake Forest (2-0, 4): A great defensive effort from the Scouts produced a 23-0 shutout against Highland Park. Lake Forest has given up just seven points in two games. A much tougher battle is ahead in Week 3 with a trip to Lakes.
4. Grant (2-0, 5): After running all night in Week 1, the Bulldogs went to the pass more in Week 2 during a 31-14 win over Grayslake Central. Jonathan Wells and Kyle Whitman each rushed for more than 100 yards in the victory.
5. Stevenson (1-1, 2): A high-scoring affair didn’t go to the Patriots’ way in a 35-27 loss to Homewood-Flossmoor. Willie Bourbon threw for more than 250 yards and two touchdown passes in the loss.
6. Antioch (1-1, 6): A defensive battle led to just nine combined points scored in a 6-3 loss to Waukegan. Wes Zegan produced the only points for the night on a 25-yard field goal for the Sequoits.
7. Libertyville (2-0, 9): The Wildcats ran all over Urban Prep during a 62-14 victory. Connor Simpson scored four times and ran for more than 130 yards in the win.
8. Grayslake Central (1-1, 7): Central had their issues with Grant in a 31-14 loss. The Rams had single digits in offense during the first half and produced only four first downs the whole game.
9. Wauconda (2-0, NR): David Starkey ran for more than 130 yards as the Bulldogs won their second straight game to equal last year’s win total. Austin Swenson threw for almost 170 yards in the victory.
10. North Chicago (2-0, NR): A second straight win tops last year’s win total as the Warhawks took out King 29-2. Tougher games are ahead with Antioch and Wauconda in a few weeks.