The top 25 teams in the nation will look radically different after a number of high profile upsets during the second week of college football action, including a shocking loss from a top 10 team in my week one rankings.
Here is how I voted for the Rant Sports top 25 teams. Click here to view the collective votes of the college football staff.
1. Alabama– AJ McCarron throws four TDs and defense pitches a shutout.
2. USC– Matt Barkley throws for fewer than 200 yards, but throws six TDs in win.
3. LSU– Tigers run for 242 yards and hold Washington to only 26 on the ground.
4. Oregon– Kenjon Barner runs for 201 yards and three TDs as Ducks roll over Fresno St.
5. Georgia– 17 fourth quarter points hold off Missouri in their SEC opener.
6. Florida State– 55 points vs. Savannah St. before game called because of inclement weather.
7. West Virginia– Idle
8. South Carolina– Dylan Thompson started at quarterback for the injured Connor Shaw and throws for 330 and three TDs.
9. Oklahoma– Damian Williams shines in home opener as Sooners score 69 in rout.
10. Michigan State– Defense continues to flex their muscle as Spartans cruised to a 41-7 win over Central Michigan.
11. Clemson– Offense continues to excel with Andre Ellington and Tajh Boyd and the Tigers get the sensational Sammy Watkins back from suspension next week.
12. Ohio State– Braxton Miller looks remarkable running Urban Meyer’s spread offense as the Buckeyes improve to 2-0 behind another dazzling effort by their Heisman candidate.
13. Texas– Defense grades out high in win over New Mexico
14. Kansas State– Collin Klein and company picked up right where they left off in 2011 and run right over Miami finishing with 289 yards on the ground and six TDs.
15. Virginia Tech– The third ACC team to crack the top 15 is led by Logan Thomas, who is dripping with potential at quarterback.
16. Oklahoma State– The Cowboys are the highest ranked team with a loss on their record after dropping shootout to Arizona. I think they would beat each of the teams ranked below them however if they were to play next weekend.
17. TCU– 56-0 win over Grambling St in the team’s season opener moves Gary Patterson as the school’s all-time winningest coach.
19. Florida– Snuck by Texas A&M on the road with 10 unanswered points in the second half as the Gators defense held Kevin Sumlin’s offense scoreless in the second half- spoiling their SEC opener.
20. Notre Dame– Needed a field goal in the final seconds after Tommy Rees came off the bench to direct game winning drive over Purdue.
21. Michigan- Denard Robinson was dominant with more than 200 yards through the air and on the ground as the Wolverines squeaked by Air Force 31-25.
22. Nebraska– Lost to UCLA on the road drops Huskers eight spots as defense gave up whopping 36 points to the Bruins.
25. Tennessee– Tyler Bray throws for 310 and four TDs- three to electric receiver Justin Hunter who went for 146 yards on eight receptions.
Follow me on Twitter @PatrickASchmidt
Patrick is a diehard Chicago sports and avid college football fan, and the host of “The Wake-up Call,” a weekly sports show on Sportstownchicago.com Wednesday mornings from 8-10. View his show’s website here.