How I see the Top 25 in College Football
Here is how I voted after the third week of college football gridiron action. To view the complete collection of votes from the Rant sports college football writers click here.
3. Oregon- Running back DeAnthony Thomas is averaging more than 17 yards per carry this season and gives the Ducks 1-2 punch with Kenjon Barner in the backfield.
4. Georgia- Aaron Murray and the Bulldogs racked up record 713 yards of offense vs. Florida Atlantic and the defense is coming together as players return from suspension.
6. West Virginia- Geno Smith is a model of efficiency running Dana Holgerson’s offense throwing for more 411 yards and five more touchdowns
7. South Carolina- it was not pretty for long stretches but the Gamecocks outlasted UAB with four second half touchdowns.
8. Oklahoma- Idle
9. Clemson- Sammy Watkins played his first game after serving a suspension and scored on a 58-yard end around and had four catches for 52 yards.
12. Stanford- Biggest win over the weekend as they beat USC for the fourth year in a row as Stephan Taylor ran roughshod over the Trojans/
14. Kansas State- labored through the first three quarters vs. North Texas before Collin Klein took over and led team to 21 unanswered points.
17. Michigan- Denard Robinson almost gets 400 yards of total offense and accounts for four touchdowns in romp over UMASS.
18. Mississippi State- Bulldogs are 3-0 for the first time since 1999 with big performances from Chad Bumphis (6-180-3) and LaDarius Perkins’ 179 yards and a score in win over Troy.
22. UCLA- Jonathan Franklin continues to ground out yards and Brett Hundley has been a revelation at quarterback for head coach Jim Mora as he has brought the Bruins storming back to the college football landscape.
23. Arizona- Matt Scott looks comfortable running Rich Rodriguez’ offense as he led the Wildcats to nearly 700 yards of total offense in 56-0 rout over South Carolina State.
24- Boise State- The Broncos are back in the rankings after a convincing win over Miami (OH) that saw DJ Harper rush for 162 yards and three touchdowns in 39-12 triumph.
25. Northwestern- The Wildcats kicked down the door as they crack my top 25 after five field goals and a late touchdown vs. Boston College giving Pat Fitzgerald’s team a 3-0 record. Northwestern has a win over an ACC, SEC, and Big East opponent.
Follow me on Twitter @PatrickASchmidt
Patrick is a diehard Chicago sports and avid college football fan, and the host of “The Wake-up Call,” a weekly sports show on Sportstownchicago.com Wednesday mornings from 8-10. View his show’s website here.
5 Best Things About Being A Fan Of Auburn Football
It's great to be an Auburn Tiger. Read these five reasons why Auburn fans have it made. Read More