How I see the Top 25 in College Football
Here is how I voted after the third week of college football gridiron action. To view the complete collection of votes from the Rant sports college football writers click here.
3. Oregon- Running back DeAnthony Thomas is averaging more than 17 yards per carry this season and gives the Ducks 1-2 punch with Kenjon Barner in the backfield.
4. Georgia- Aaron Murray and the Bulldogs racked up record 713 yards of offense vs. Florida Atlantic and the defense is coming together as players return from suspension.
6. West Virginia- Geno Smith is a model of efficiency running Dana Holgerson’s offense throwing for more 411 yards and five more touchdowns
7. South Carolina- it was not pretty for long stretches but the Gamecocks outlasted UAB with four second half touchdowns.
8. Oklahoma- Idle
9. Clemson- Sammy Watkins played his first game after serving a suspension and scored on a 58-yard end around and had four catches for 52 yards.
12. Stanford- Biggest win over the weekend as they beat USC for the fourth year in a row as Stephan Taylor ran roughshod over the Trojans/
14. Kansas State- labored through the first three quarters vs. North Texas before Collin Klein took over and led team to 21 unanswered points.
17. Michigan- Denard Robinson almost gets 400 yards of total offense and accounts for four touchdowns in romp over UMASS.
18. Mississippi State- Bulldogs are 3-0 for the first time since 1999 with big performances from Chad Bumphis (6-180-3) and LaDarius Perkins’ 179 yards and a score in win over Troy.
22. UCLA- Jonathan Franklin continues to ground out yards and Brett Hundley has been a revelation at quarterback for head coach Jim Mora as he has brought the Bruins storming back to the college football landscape.
23. Arizona- Matt Scott looks comfortable running Rich Rodriguez’ offense as he led the Wildcats to nearly 700 yards of total offense in 56-0 rout over South Carolina State.
24- Boise State- The Broncos are back in the rankings after a convincing win over Miami (OH) that saw DJ Harper rush for 162 yards and three touchdowns in 39-12 triumph.
25. Northwestern- The Wildcats kicked down the door as they crack my top 25 after five field goals and a late touchdown vs. Boston College giving Pat Fitzgerald’s team a 3-0 record. Northwestern has a win over an ACC, SEC, and Big East opponent.
Follow me on Twitter @PatrickASchmidt
Patrick is a diehard Chicago sports and avid college football fan, and the host of “The Wake-up Call,” a weekly sports show on Sportstownchicago.com Wednesday mornings from 8-10. View his show’s website here.
Iowa's Inclusion In Playoff Would Be Well Deserved
Iowa hasn't played the toughest schedule this season, but an unbeaten record and a win in the Big Ten championship game is enough for a berth in the playoff. Read More
Predictions For Major Week 13 CFB Games vs. Spread
Here are the picks for each major CFB Week 13 game vs. the spread. Read More