Close Article Return to stream X
NCAA Football

Alabama Crimson Tide in Prime Position to Land 2015’s No. 1 QB Ricky Town

+Read full article
Ricky Town-Alabama Crimson Tide

Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

Alabama has a commitment from one of the top quarterbacks this year in David Cornwell and is in excellent position to add the top signal-caller in 2015 in Ricky Town (Ventura, Calif. St. Bonaventure) who plans to visit this fall.

Georgia, Texas, USC and Stanford appear to be the top suitors for the five-star prospect, and each of the schools have offered him except for Stanford which could be imminent. However, it’s the Crimson Tide who is the team to beat for the 6-foot-4, 198-pound pro-style quarterback.

Town is planning to attend his first Alabama game for the Oct. 19 game vs. Arkansas and tells Charles Power that Doug Nussmeier and Alabama are recruiting him the hardest.

“Alabama is after me a lot. I talk to Coach Nuss a lot. They’re probably the biggest one right now. They say they’re still interested in me and want to make me part of the Crimson Tide.”

Don’t expect an early decision from Town, who is still considering all of his options and will take more visits to the aforementioned schools. But ultimately I believe this comes down to Stanford, Texas and Alabama.

Town and his family have a strong relationship with Texas offensive coordinator Major Applewhite and thoroughly enjoyed their visit in June. The lure of staying in-state will pull at his heartstrings so perhaps this is decided by the winner of the two teams who potentially could meet in the BCS Championship Game in January.

Each has high-profile QBs committed for next year with Cornwell headed to Alabama, No. 3 quarterback Keller Chryst committed to Stanford and Texas has dual-threat quarterback Jerrod Heard but won’t be turned off by competition.

I’d handicap the race as a 75 percent chance he picks Alabama, 20 percent for Texas and 5 percent Stanford. Obviously it’s early in the process for Town, but it would take a monumental effort to unseat Alabama for the lead.

Town ranks No. 3 in the 247Sports ranking for the class of 2015 after a sophomore year when he passed for 2,400 yards and 23 touchdowns with a nearly 70 percent completion percentage en route to earning all-state honors.

Patrick’s a college football writer for Rant Sports and radio host on Sportstownchicago.com. Follow him on Twitter @PatrickASchmidt and add him to your Google network.

Your Favorites
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
NCAA Football Videos

Henry's Third Rushing TD Proves To Be Game-Winner

Derrick Henry was unstoppable against Clemson. His third rushing touchdown proved to be the game-winner, as Clemson scored a late touchdown shortly afterwards to make things interesting.

Comment 0 Comments
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
NCAA Football Videos

Watch Bama's Drake Bust Out For Kickoff Return TD

Clemson has been fighting tooth and nail all night long against Alabama in the National Championship game, but it looks like it may not be enough after Kenyan Drake ran this kickoff back. The touchdown gave the Crimson Tide a 38-27 lead with just over seven minutes remaining.

Comment 0 Comments
 
 
Close Article Return to stream X
NCAA Football Videos

Watch Alabama Execute Perfect Onside Kick

The National Championship game has been much closer than people expected, which led Alabama head coach Nick Saban to call for this perfectly executed onside kick that gave his Crimson Tide the go-ahead touchdown. It couldn't have been done any better.

Comment 0 Comments