My Pregame Thoughts Week 1: Philadelphia Eagles at St. Louis Rams
First of all, I cannot wait for the 2011 Philadelphia Eagles season. I absolutely cannot wait. I have missed football so much and I am so excited for the 2011 season, more than any other season in my lifetime.
As for my random thoughts? Well here they are:
- I’m amazed that Danny Watkins isn’t starting, Jaiquawn Jarrett won’t play much, and Curtis Marsh will probably be inactive. Those are our top three draft picks and none of them figures to contribute much in the season opener, if at all in 2011.
- Every part of me wants the Eagles to go deep to DeSean Jackson over Quintin Mikell on the first play of the season but I don’t think that it will actually happen. Your first play? A six yard run by McCoy.
- Oh, and the Eagles need to win the toss, and elect to receive, and score first, so they can get a comfortable lead.
- I think the offensive line will be a problem. But I don’t think that it will be a bigger problem than it was in 2010, when the Eagles had Mike McGlynn and Max Jean-Gilles starting. Vick is good enough to still make plays, and I think he will.
- There is a part of me that wonders how Brandon Gibson, Danny Amendola, Mike Sims-Walker, and company have a chance in the world against Nnamdi Asomugha, Asante Samuel, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. It won’t be as easy as it sounds, but I think Bradford will throw two picks (one to Nnamdi).
- Steven Jackson should have a big day against the Eagles’ run defense. I think he will rush for about 110 yards and a touchdown.
- I don’t expect to see Ronnie Brown or Dion Lewis on the field much at all. I do think that LeSean McCoy will be a complete stud. I think he’ll rush for about 120, add 70 through the air, and score twice.
- I think that Vick will uncharacteristically struggle. I think he’ll throw two picks and fumble once. But I also expect about 250 yards passing and two touchdowns throughout the air.
- I would be surprised if Steve Smith caught a pass. I think he’ll play, but for literally five to ten plays, if that.
- I think that the Rams’ defensive line will collect four sacks on Michael Vick, and Jason Kelce will have the worst day of any Eagles offensive lineman. I still don’t know why he is starting (and I don’t like it).
- I think that DeSean Jackson will return a punt for a touchdown, the fifth of his career. I also think he’ll add a touchdown throughout the air.
- I have the score as follows: 14-7 Eagles after 1 quarter, 21-17 at halftime, 24-20 after three, and 34-27 Eagles as the final.
- I don’t care how the Eagles win. I just want a win (and no significant injuries).
Jeff Blake Proof that Deflategate has Gone Too Far
When Jeff Blake is making national headlines about Deflategate, it's time the NFL media look elsewhere for Super Bowl stories. Read More
Tom Brady Has Greatest QB Title On The Line Sunday
Tom Brady could make or break his place in NFL history as the greatest quarterback of all-time Sunday. Let's examine why. Read More