Redskins Vs. Panthers: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
There weren’t a whole lot of good takeaways from yesterday’s game against the Panthers, just as there haven’t been for the last couple of weeks. The Redskins are now 3-3 and in third place in the NFC East.
Okay! Yesterday’s GBUs:
- John Beck, despite a slow start and some obvious rust, actually had a pretty decent game, going 22-37 for 279 yards, a touchdown, an interception, a fumble and a rushing touchdown. He was far from perfect, but not bad, considering.
- Fred Davis continues to excel with Chris Cooley sidelined, catching 6 passes for 80 yards and a touchdown. Logan Paulsen even stepped up, catching two balls for 48 yards.
Graham Gano and Sav Rocca continue to do their jobs beautifully, thank goodness.
- I have been BEGGING for Hankerson to get some playing time, and he finally does and what happens? He runs the wrong route and the ball gets intercepted. I guess he’s back to the bench. The rest of the receiving corps, outside for Fred Davis, played poorly. Jabar Gaffney also lost a fumble.
- The defense as a whole got shredded both on the ground and through the air all day by Cam Newton, Steve Smith, and Jonathon Stewart. Smith had his way with Josh Wilson and DeAngelo Hall. Stewart was easily getting to the second and third level of the defense, no thanks to the defensive line, and Newton made everyone look foolish, from London Fletcher and Laron Landry on down.
- With OJ Atogwe out (again), we had to watch Reed Doughty try and fail to cover wide receivers over the top, giving up huge chunks of yardage.
- Despite getting four sacks on Newton, the front seven was largely pushed around.
- Additionally, facing a rookie quarterback, a new coach, and a struggling team, the Redskins defense forced zero turnovers.
- Both Santana Moss and Hightower went down with injuries. Moss has a broken hand and will miss a couple of weeks, and unfortunately, Hightower has a torn ACL and is done for the year. Time for Ryan Torain and Roy Helu to step up – something they couldn’t do on Sunday.
- Is it time to cut Brandon Banks? He’s not doing anything in the return game and he’s not capable of playing on offense. Looks like a wasted roster spot at the moment. Is it a blocking problem? I don’t think so. I don’t think Banks is healthy, and if he’s not, he shouldn’t be playing.
- Nothing really to report here. It was a bad game, but it wasn’t particularly an ugly one. That said, the Redskins have to travel to Buffalo next week and if they lose that one, this season could get ugly in a hurry.
Cromartie Way Off Calling Beckham 'One-Hit Wonder'
Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie calling out Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. for being a "one-hit wonder" is hilarious. Read More
Seahawks Can't Beat Bengals Without Marshawn Lynch
Seattle Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch has been ruled out of Week 5 action, which essentially guarantees Seattle will lose to Cincinnati. Read More